Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 unlimited has a 110 plug in under the hood. It is definetally OEM. I live in Northeast Oklahoma. Is there really a need or a benefit from using an engine heater? I have never seen one on a gasoline engine. I realize that it would reduce a cold start but is it worth the time to plug it in every night? Is this an option or does all Jk have them?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Bulldog35 said:
My 07 unlimited has a 110 plug in under the hood. It is definetally OEM. I live in Northeast Oklahoma. Is there really a need or a benefit from using an engine heater? I have never seen one on a gasoline engine. I realize that it would reduce a cold start but is it worth the time to plug it in every night? Is this an option or does all Jk have them?
I live in northwest arkansas and it doesnt get old enough in our area for them. Id sell it unless you plan on moving to the artic.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's an option and not expensive to add it to the list when it was ordered. Unless you're consistantly around the below 0 mark there really is no need for it. If you do get a cold snap plug it in since you have it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No Need for it unless you are below -18c for several days. I've heard that motors can become dependent on heaters and won't start without if used all the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We used it all the time in Alaska during the winter. We would have to add a blanket or pad under the battery and on the oil pan too. It got cold enough that the fluids would xludge if not freeze completely. I'm sure you won't need it in Oklahoma though.

As far as selling it like somebody mentioned, that's not possible unless y-ou want to go through a lot of work. The block heater replaces one of the engine drain plugs. You woulod have to get a new plug, drain all the antifreeze, and swap it for the heater. And the heater would probably get damaged during removal too. My suggestion is to just tuck the cord up out of the way and forget about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts