Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 TJ.
My blower motor was working only on high, so I got a new resistor and plugged it in. The old one was clearly fried. The fan is now working on all speeds.

My question is that I did not screw the resistor back into place and ran the fan so I could see the resistor for a test. I noticed that the spiral wires in the resistor glow red hot during different fan speeds.

Is this normal, or should I be worried about another short somewhere.

One of the resistor harness wires is burnt, but I made sure it was not in contact with anything else during the test run.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They need to be in the fan airflow to keep cool enough they don’t fail but yes the get plenty hot to brand your fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sort of figured, judging by the design that the air flow was necessary to keep it cool. Just wasn't sure if it was suppose to get red hot.

I'll go and button it all up now and not need to worry about it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blower Fan 99 Jeep Tj 2.4 with AC. First the high speed quit and eventually the fan quit all together. I removed the fan and bench tested with 12 volts it operated fine. I re installed the fan and it now works fine. I assume the terminals were dirty. There was no heat damage on any of the plugs. Perhaps I should change the motor and fan switch there are the original parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts