Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1997 wrangler sport 4.0 and I saw some videos on where the resistor is behind glove compartment below and to the right of the fuse box. The video I saw showed that you could see the top screw from looking in the glove box opening and then the bottom screw you get at from under the dash. I don't see the top screw and under my dash is a black dome shaped cover so I cant just reach up there like it showed in the video. Is it possible there is another place for it or am I missing something?

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 2002 is in the same spot. Royal pain in the but to get to those 2 screws..I wasn't able to see them either, but after contorting my hands to positions they've never bent to before, I was able to feel them. Putting them back in was much easier than taking them out though.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi, I have a 1997 wrangler sport 4.0 and I saw some videos on where the resistor is behind glove compartment below and to the right of the fuse box. The video I saw showed that you could see the top screw from looking in the glove box opening and then the bottom screw you get at from under the dash. I don't see the top screw and under my dash is a black dome shaped cover so I cant just reach up there like it showed in the video. Is it possible there is another place for it or am I missing something?
I believe its a little different for your '97, but I could be wrong. Make sure you are watching a video for your year. Maybe someone with a '97 will pop up

·
Registered
20 Posts
mine is a 1998. i just removed mine last night. it is underneath the glovebox behind a black cover. the cover is held in by 4 phillips head screws. The resistor is held in by two screws as well. About 5 wires going into it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
On my 99 they also said behind the glove box. To me it's more like below. Take the 4 screws off the kick plate and you'll see it. Good Luck

·
Registered
672 Posts
Why would the resistor need replacement. My TJ fan only works on high and I was assuming it was the switch. Is it the resistor?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ya resistor. It's a 4 path resistor. More resistance for low setting up to no resistance (resistor is bypassed) for high setting. The high resistance paths burn out.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
Why would the resistor need replacement. My TJ fan only works on high and I was assuming it was the switch. Is it the resistor?
Probably is your resistor, the resistor controls all the lower speeds of your fan. High speed is ran direct so that is why it still works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts