Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Wrangler with 4 speed heater fan.
So i read that the high speed on the blower switch does not go through the resister.
Is that why these TJ's keep blowing the switch if run on high. Im replacing mine again. Every time it is from running the blower on high. First it blows high then the 3rd setting then it only runs on the second speed. Then it will run on second for ever. Put another switch in it and all is good until it starts the cycle of blowing speeds again. Its fine when i drive it but then some idiot from the house hold here drives it and turns up the fan on high.
Any solution to this? Besides of course keep the idiots out of the jeep LOL.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The motor is old. It draws more current than the system can handle or some such when it gets tired. Then this happens, repeatedly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup. Time for a new fan motor and a resistor too since that blew again. I need one o each too but mine only works on high. let me know if you find a good deal on them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
At least you can by a new switch, those of us with 97's the 4 and 5 wire switches are no longer available and we have to settle for what we can find in the Junk Yard.

Good to know that when fan motors get old they draw more current.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm kinda having the reverse problem with mine and my wife's lj. Both blow nicely on high but setting 1-2 very little if anything and 3 is so so on hers and ok on mine. She has 105k and I have 53k on mine unknown if these have ever been worked on before.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm kinda having the reverse problem with mine and my wife's lj. Both blow nicely on high but setting 1-2 very little if anything and 3 is so so on hers and ok on mine. She has 105k and I have 53k on mine unknown if these have ever been worked on before.
That's indicative of the blower motor resistor going bad. Relatively cheap part and simple fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts