Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am finding alot of issues with this new to me TJ, the blower motor does not work at the first two settings, but does work on the 2 highest settings.... Any ideas? Switch, wiring, blower motor?

·
Registered
169 Posts
So I am finding alot of issues with this new to me TJ, the blower motor does not work at the first two settings, but does work on the 2 highest settings.... Any ideas? Switch, wiring, blower motor?
May want to check the resistor in the A/C switch circuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
O.k. heres my 2 cents from fixing mine yesterday. Gets hot in the summer down here in Texas and going without a/c blowing out the vents and only thru the defroster had to get fixed...

so, after carful research. The problem with the air only blowing out the defroster, is a vacume hose that runs the front vents has come off at the motor. follow the vacume hose from the firewall, where the heater hoses enter (very small hose) is the subject. Follow the very small hose as it runs to the drivers side of the engine, you will notice a 90 degree angled tube connector at the end. The vacume port is right there mid engine on the drivers side. That will also make it run better.

second, the air only running on the 3 and 4 speeds, not 1 and 2 speeds, is due to a dead blower motor resistor, which is located in a tight spot, low, and behind the glove box. I also went ahead and replaced the blower motor relay, that is in the same relative spot, and easier to get to, because this is an 11 yr. old Jeep, I want reliability.
My contacts were not melted like I have read some are here. On the blower motor resistor, I noticed some bubbling under the black paint, on the flat bar, that is the resistor, and scraped the paint off and found white corrosion, that's what killed it. be careful not to scratch that black paint, or it will die of corrosion in a few years or sooner.

I also started this escapade with replacing the Control Module with the temp air speeds and vent switch, but no fix, but its new.

So my A/C Is working like new, and should be free of problems for quite a while. the only other thing that could go wrong on the interior side of the firewall is the blower motor, that looks pretty easy to remove and install from the floor side, behind the glove box.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm willing to bet it is the blower resistor. Less than 20 from Amazon. youtube video will show you how to replace.I've done so many I can do it in ten minutes now. Very common in TJ's

·
Registered
202 Posts
Usually the resistor pack, but they blow for a reason. Bad dirty loose connections to either power and/or ground will increase the current over the ratings of the resistors. Also if the blower motor has bad bearings, too much load blows the resistor pack.

On the low setting the resistors are larger taking more load - less to motor - slower speed.

Could just be the motor too, motor starting current is 5 times at start. If you change the resistors, but he motor is the problem(bad bearings) it will keep blowing the resistor pack.

Suggest change blower motor, then if still not working on low change the resistor pack.

12 year experienced electrician - every field

1 - 12 of 12 Posts