Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 jeep JK after sitting in the garage for a few day when started blows smoke when first started. I have changed the oil every 5000 miles with synthetic 5-20 and only has 55000 miles. Has anyone else had this problem are would this be considered normal being the oil is only 5w and may get into the exhaust. Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had similiar isue when not using my 13 JK after weeks from vacation. Usually after driving it more often it doesn't happen. I think some of it is the moisture on the gas tank sitting after some time since I see drips of water when I don't drive it often. I blame the gas stations on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depends on what colour smoke it is. Could be normal condenstaion which forms during the combustion process and until everything warms up.

Blue/grey is oil
White is leaking headgasket
Black is rich fuel, leaking injector

You should not have water/moisture in your fuel.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Smoke appears blue gray and has a strong oil smell
Abnormal oil consumption?
It could be from PCV blowing excess oil into intake manifold which slowly drips into cylinders through open valves and burn at start up.
I had a car with this symptom "dense blue smoke at start up" literally a small puff of smoke, no excessive oil consumption.
I drove it like that for 4 years and sold it, met the buyer a few years later still ok.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
A bit of (oil) smoke at start up is usually leaking valve stem seals.

I think that should be covered under warranty, would it not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It may or may not fall under warranty typical 3.6 factory power train warranty is I think 5year/60000 mile it depends when the jeep itself was first sold, I think your onto something with the valve seals, if it’s only smoking after a long sitting period, that would lead me think it’s the valve seals also

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
the seals shrink/dry out when not used for a while. I would not worry about it. You think thats bad, you should see my neighbors 78 corvette when he starts it for the first time in the summer. soon as it warms up its fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Never had this problem with the old straight 6. I have a 2003 wrangler with 150,000 miles and it doesn't smoke. I can't understand why a 2014 jeep with 55,000 miles would need valve seals. I guess it's just a problem with the v6. I should have took it in a year ago when I first noticed it. Now it's a few months out of warranty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts