Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In march i bought a 99 jeep Tj 2.5 Manuel and with in 2 months 1/2 my motor blew. I have had it parked for about a month now, I was wondering does a 4.0 motor fit in my transmission? People say that if the motor looks the same as the transmission there will be no problem but in my knowledge of cars that sounds wrong. Pls help I found a 2.5 motor and its $550 and a 4.0 Motor for 280 rebuilt n running with warranty. I can't afford to change tranny berly to pay for motor :(

·
Registered
845 Posts
No u cannot just switch in a 4.0 if u had a 2.5----there are a lot of threads on here that recommend keeping the 2.5 in there or outright selling if you wanted a 4.0 jeep.
Sorry but ur gonna have to get the more expensive 2.5-
But- what exactly do u mean by yours blew- have u had someone look at it and tell u that u need a new engine- those motors are prettty sturdy.
And not sure how u got a 4.0 rebuilt so cheap but it sounds fishy to me

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I took off from work a banging noise started to sound I got home n parked it, my step dad said it was fine to move it to drive it to mechanic. As I drive it out of my gate there was a loud bang some rattling and the oil started to drain . Engine turned off . I had a mechanic come and tell me what it was said I cracked my motor and crankshaft had Broken said it would be easier and faster to buy new engine than to rebuild it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the motor for 450 and installed it in same place for 200 . They wanted 230 but I bargained and talked them to 200

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After having it for about 3 weeks it started to shake around 5th gear n 50 mph so they had given me a month warranty so know they are checking n fixing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts