Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work this morning and I heard a loud banging noise coming from my Jeep and a big cloud of smoke came out from behind it. It started whining and grinding as I pulled into work. I have a Dana 35 rear end. Not sure how much damage has been done yet but my question is, what all should I replace while I've got it apart? My Jeep has I6 with auto and im running 35 12.50 15s with Kevlar

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
With that big of tires ur better off replacing the axel with a bigger one. The ford 9in is common. Thoes dana 35 axles are ok but not that good eather. to me its not worth the money to fix. I know from experience ...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably wouldn't have got tires that big but they came brand new on the Jeep so they're only a couple months old. This vehicle is my daily driver and will not see much off-road use other than just for hunting. Are the 35s just too heavy for it?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Your Jeep was probably wheeled by the previous owner. If all your going to do is hunting, just get better axle shafts. Or you can do an 8.8 swap which is a lot more common than the 9 inch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping I could just upgrade the axles and all of the insides and it would hold up for my needs. If I were to just upgrade my parts what would you suggest using?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Replacing all that would probably cost more than finding an 8.8 out of a yard.

·
Registered
667 Posts
35" tires and a Dana 35 don't work. Don't put money into a Dana 35!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Swapping in another axle is not as cheap as one may think if you don't have a friend who welds and knows how to set it up. If you do have a friend who has done this and welds than you'll be golden and you could probably get it done for as much as what it would cost to replace your broken parts.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Gotta agree with RubiconRich. I've popped two D35's. Once on 235/75/15(2000 TJ) and on 33" Tires (2005 TJ). The Ford 8.8" rear would be the best bang for your buck. Good fit and very close in strength to a Dana 60.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I work at a dealership so that's where all of the repairs are gonna be made because i don't have the space or tools to do it. I might just have to downsize tires or see what it would cost to have them swap it for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Gotcha. I realize its your daily driver but fixing the D35 is like putting a new timing belt on a ford tempo.... why bother.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got ya, guess ill search Craigslist for a different rear end and get it to a place that can hook me up with a swap. Hopefully that will be the last of the mechanical problems at least long enough for me to get the thing monster lined

·
Registered
14 Posts
Runicon Rich and ARB (the locker people) had the same advice. Don't put much money into the Dana 35. Unless someone justs gives you one and helps with the installation, I would look for the Ford 8.8.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Go with the axle swap! Dana 44, dana 60, ford 8.8, for 9in. There are a ton of options. Get rid of the 35.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
amiller said:
Gotta agree with RubiconRich. I've popped two D35's. Once on 235/75/15(2000 TJ) and on 33" Tires (2005 TJ). The Ford 8.8" rear would be the best bang for your buck. Good fit and very close in strength to a Dana 60.
I wouldn't say close to a 60 but definitely good!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I wouldn't say close to a 60 but definitely good!
I probably should have specified Shaft Strength and not over all axle strength when comparing the 31 spline 8.8 axle shaft vs. the semifloat (weaker) 60 axle shaft. Sorry

Borrowed from Jeeps Unlimited:
The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.)
D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)
-------------------------------
COT: Continuous output torque rating
MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500]

1 - 20 of 60 Posts