Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the blue ox adventurer tow bar thinking it'd work for my aftermarket bumper. I got it in the mail and went to test fit it and it works, mostly. I have yet to actually tow my jeep because I don't know if the way its riding is safe. What do y'all think and what can I do to make it safer.

Auto part Metal
Tire Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Pipe

·
Commercial Member
8,750 Posts
The way you have it is not safe to flat tow with...

I believe you need an adapter to use a tow bar with a bummer that had D ring attachments on it.

If you loosen the bolt at the end, doesn't it pivot? It shouldn't be angled like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you need an adapter to use a tow bar with a bummer that had D ring attachments on it.

If you loosen the bolt at the end, doesn't it pivot? It shouldn't be angled like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hmm I see. Do you know where I could get said attachment?

Yes it pivots, that is just how it was angled when I took the picture.

·
Premium Member
9,981 Posts
These brackets would replace the end brackets on your tow bar:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These brackets would replace the end brackets on your tow bar:
Thank you for your response. But during my search I realized that that tow bar was not rated for my vehicles weight. I had to order a different tow bar and was able to find the D-Ring adapters for that one.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like you got the input, but that was terrifying to see how you had it. I got a LoD bumper that specifically has Blue Ox tow bar points- in addition to the D ring points. Honestly, before you get an adapter or the like, I’d verify with the bumper manufacturer that those attachment points are acceptable for towing.

Here is a pic with my setup.

Bumper sans hook up.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like you got the input, but that was terrifying to see how you had it. I got a LoD bumper that specifically has Blue Ox tow bar points- in addition to the D ring points. Honestly, before you get an adapter or the like, I’d verify with the bumper manufacturer that those attachment points are acceptable for towing.

Here is a pic with my setup.

Bumper sans hook up.
Are the tow points directly attached to your bumper? If so, you should reconsider your safety lines as they won’t be very effective. LOD now makes brackets that better tie the front bumper connection to the frame and have a safety line loop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Are the tow points directly attached to your bumper? If so, you should reconsider your safety lines as they won’t be very effective. LOD now makes brackets that better tie the front bumper connection to the frame and have a safety line loop.
ABSOLUTELY they are tied to the bumper and frame. That’s the whole reason I chose this bumper. The D ring attachment points are also tied to the frame, so they are the perfect place for the safety chains. Much of the reason I chose the bumper was also based on not impacting approach angle (I do use the Jeep off road) like other options or event the brackets you have a picture of there.

I’ve towed quite a bit and am reasonably versed in all this, so I’m doing by the numbers as best as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.