Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who tow your boats with a manual, do you have any pointers on launching / retrieving your boat at the launch? My JKUR is still new to me (1500 miles), so I might still just be getting used to the clutch, but I always seem to rev the motor too high and end up slipping the clutch while pulling the boat and/or trailer out of the water to keep the Jeep and trailer from ending up in the lake.

Would using 4-Low be an acceptable option to help with this? Again, really new to my Jeep, but I know that using 4-Low on pavement really isn't good. Would it be "safe" to do so launching and retrieving my boat on a concrete launch? Particularly knowing that I'll have to turn the wheel while backing in to get the trailer where it needs to be.

Any other suggestions for those that have a manual and a boat would be greatly appreciated. This is the first manual vehicle that seems to give me trouble at the launch.

Thanks!
-Matt

·
Registered
607 Posts
You can use 4-Low for launching/retrieving your boat no problem! we pull our 2place jetski trailer with my brother jeep and one of the ramps is broken concrete and gravel. That is the only ramp I use 4-low on and it pulls them out like there was nothing behind it.

Just an FYI your turning radius is much lower with 4 low engaged and its a bit "jumpy" :)

Just so you know, your jeep has hill start assist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That hill start assist works great for launching and retrieving-you may need to practice on an incline to get it down. Anyone know how to train a wife to take my Jeep out of reverse when pulling me out?

·
Registered
590 Posts
4-Lo and fuggedaboutit.

I have launched many boats/watercraft when I had manual gear boxes and 4-Lo made it a snap. Even with an automatic tranny 4-Lo helps keep the torque converter from having to slip too much. I wouldn't worry about backing down in 4-Lo as once the boat starts to float you only have the weight of the trailer.

NC

For those of you who tow your boats with a manual, do you have any pointers on launching / retrieving your boat at the launch? My JKUR is still new to me (1500 miles), so I might still just be getting used to the clutch, but I always seem to rev the motor too high and end up slipping the clutch while pulling the boat and/or trailer out of the water to keep the Jeep and trailer from ending up in the lake.

Would using 4-Low be an acceptable option to help with this? Again, really new to my Jeep, but I know that using 4-Low on pavement really isn't good. Would it be "safe" to do so launching and retrieving my boat on a concrete launch? Particularly knowing that I'll have to turn the wheel while backing in to get the trailer where it needs to be.

Any other suggestions for those that have a manual and a boat would be greatly appreciated. This is the first manual vehicle that seems to give me trouble at the launch.

Thanks!
-Matt

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

The main thing is that I wanted to make sure I don't hurt anything while turning while backing the trailer into the water in 4-Low. I know running in 4-Low will keep me from burning up the clutch, just wanted to make sure the turning wouldn't hurt it.

I do know it has Hill Start Assist and it works great normally, but my experience has been that if I set the parking break (Shifter in neutral of course), get out and unload the boat, get back in and go, the Hill assist doesn't work? Maybe it was just a fluke, but I rolled in the water a foot or two as I was expecting hill assist but it wasn't there!

I will try 4-Low and report after the weekend as long as the weather cooperates.

Thanks everyone!
-Matt

·
Registered
493 Posts
Unless ur pulling a giant yacht or its a mossy ramp, u dont need 4low or hi. Just practice a bit using the hill assist, or use the e brake. Very simple and no struggle at all. I always turn off the jeep and put her in first while in the water tho. I keep the e brake adjusted regularly, but dont trust it!
I have a two door, and tow a 4000 pound boat.
Troy

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I do know it has Hill Start Assist and it works great normally, but my experience has been that if I set the parking break (Shifter in neutral of course), get out and unload the boat, get back in and go, the Hill assist doesn't work?
The HSA works by "holding" your brakes at wherever they were for a second or two when you switch from brakes to clutch. If you only had the parking brake on before taking off, there is no level of braking for it to maintain. If you want it to work in that situation, just press the brake down firmly for a second or two before releasing the parking brake and taking off.

Since you're newish to Jeeping, i feel it's my duty to tell you that Chrysler and "Parking Brakes" have a long and unsavory history together. Most of us wouldn't trust ours to hold the Jeep on flat ground against a slight breeze; the thought of getting OUT of the Jeep with only the parking brake keeping me from Chadwicking it is terrifying...

·
Registered
269 Posts
youll be ok in 4 hi even, i launch at a 50 degree angle into an old rock quarry in my auto with hi engaged, i go from drive to neutral never reverse after i hit the decline.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Use 2 wheel pulling around and lining up to the ramp in a straight line. When you are lined up and ready to back down the ramp go into 4 lo.It makes life much easier .You will have better speed control and traction on a wet ramp not to mention eliminating the worry of slipping the clutch or killing it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The HSA works by "holding" your brakes at wherever they were for a second or two when you switch from brakes to clutch. If you only had the parking brake on before taking off, there is no level of braking for it to maintain. If you want it to work in that situation, just press the brake down firmly for a second or two before releasing the parking brake and taking off.

Since you're newish to Jeeping, i feel it's my duty to tell you that Chrysler and "Parking Brakes" have a long and unsavory history together. Most of us wouldn't trust ours to hold the Jeep on flat ground against a slight breeze; the thought of getting OUT of the Jeep with only the parking brake keeping me from Chadwicking it is terrifying...
Based on what you said above regarding HSA, I think I simply didn't press the break long enough after getting back into the Jeep before trying to pull the trailer out of the water. I pressed the brake, pulled the e-brake and "thought" HSA would kick in and rolled back into the lake. Evidently the issue is I just need to make sure to hold the break down for a few more seconds before letting off the brake to switch to gas.

I've owned 4 other Chrysler's, this is just my first Jeep. I'll make sure to keep that in mind. I always thought it was bad form to shut the truck off while on the ramp, in the water, but I will certainly do that next time. If nothing else just to keep from the Jeep ending up in the lake while I'm not in it!

Thanks all for all the other good info. I know I don't necessarily need 4-Low from a traction perspective on a concrete launch, my issue simple was over-revving the motor and feeling like I was burning the clutch on my new Jeep with less than 1500 miles on it. I figured going to 4-Low would help me to not burn the clutch as much, or hopefully not as much, and if for any reason the ramp is a little slick with moss or algae or something, I won't loose as much traction. I think a lot of it is me still learning the new vehicle. It seems to have a "touchy" gas petal, which probably doesn't help me any either.

Thanks again,
-Matt

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I've owned 4 other Chrysler's, this is just my first Jeep. I'll make sure to keep that in mind. I always thought it was bad form to shut the truck off while on the ramp, in the water, but I will certainly do that next time.
Ah, that is indeed a conundrum. You DON'T want to shut it off if your muffler is under water. I didn't know how deep you were when stopping to get out. Sounds like you need a wingman to get the boat hooked up while you stand on the brakes. Or take the driver's door off so you can jump in there in a hurry if it starts slipping backwards...

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Ah, that is indeed a conundrum. You DON'T want to shut it off if your muffler is under water. I didn't know how deep you were when stopping to get out. Sounds like you need a wingman to get the boat hooked up while you stand on the brakes. Or take the driver's door off so you can jump in there in a hurry if it starts slipping backwards...
On many boat launches you would be fine shutting your jeep off with the muffler underwater. When you start it there is a tiny bit of back pressure so if the water was beyond the cats up into the headers you can suck it back in the engine and hydrolock it. On most of the ramps I use its at enough of an angle that even when I sink the rear end up the the top of the back bumper and turn it off, I just blow the water out. If its a shallow angle ramp then you may be getting both wheels in the water in order to launch a boat. If you are really deep don't turn off the engine but if its just the muffler I wouldn't worry. You'll just blow the water out and it'll dry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts