Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who purchased a JK with body-coloured fenders, any regrets with not going with the black plastic ones? I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I won't be doing any crazy rock-crawling, I like the look of the body-coloured ones, but I'm concerned about damage to it like rock chips or so.

To make the decision harder, I also like the look of the flat fenders just as much as the look of the body-coloured ones. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I have body colored fenders and so far I like them. The good news is for about $150.00 you can buy 4 take off fenders and have them as a backup. Or if you want to do something interesting you can take your fenders off and have them line-x'd. If you like the colored fenders get them...you can always change them if you want.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I have body colored fenders on my current Jeep. Interestingly, they are scratched much less than my doors. For my new 2014 I will order body colored again. If I want them black some of the time I'll plastidip them. I just plastidipped wheels on another ride and it works great. While not nearly as tough as bedlinning them, it looks easy to do by myself without removing the fenders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up a Sahara (the pick is bone stock the day I got it) with matched fenders. After a few months of trails & 10k miles.... Still look brand new. I've thought about changing them out to a more aggressive style but honestly I think it looks good.

That being said I'm not a fan of the matching top.... Just looks like an everyday SUV to me when it's all the same color

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the body colored fenders. It reminds me of the days of my CJ. We also have the body colored hardtop although that i would have preferred black.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the plastic ones and I hate them. My next upgrade is replacing them with color matched ones. The plastic ones will look like crap in a few years when they begin to sun fade.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I like mine.....but I'm not off-road that much.

However, there are a few of things to consider.
I'm assuming you are looking at a Rubi since that is the only model that has a choice.

Are you going to go with wider (aftermarket) tires/wheels?

You say you won't be climbing a lot of rocks, but will you be on tight trails with lots of trees?

Will you be on a lot of gravel roads?

Sahara side steps and factory wheels help protect the rear fenders from flying rocks.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What he said. ^

All my Jeeps but my '98 had painted fenders. To me, the black textured fenders look cheap, like something you'd see on a $5000 ATV.

But, if you're going to do any marginally serious off-roading, the paint will take a beating in a hurry. I'm considering putting some of the 3M film stuff on the outer surfaces of mine to help when in the brush.

·
Registered
231 Posts
are the fenders the same, meaning if in a few years the plastic starts to look bad, could you just plastic dip or paint the plastic ones? Anyone ever plastic dip the plastic ones straight from the factory to help prevent fading in the sun?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Had white ones on our CJ7 and silver ones on our current '04 Ruby(no problem rock crawlin', but could get scratched in the woods just like the rest of the Jeep). No problem with chips as long as tires don't stick out beyond fenders. Just got our '13 Ruby with painted fenders and top. Also agree the black ones look cheap and still get ripped off on tough trails just like painted ones do.

·
Registered
599 Posts
To those who purchased a JK with body-coloured fenders, any regrets with not going with the black plastic ones? I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I won't be doing any crazy rock-crawling, I like the look of the body-coloured ones, but I'm concerned about damage to it like rock chips or so.

To make the decision harder, I also like the look of the flat fenders just as much as the look of the body-coloured ones. :banghead:
I have body colored fenders and I trimmed them flat w/ 1" lip. Finished it off with black molding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like the look, but mine are really scratched up from all the brush (aka: desert pinstriping) I've buffed them out a few times, but now I only try to manage the scratches on the body sides and eventually, I'll replace the painted stock fenders with something more durable and built for off-road (and can be touched up with a rattle can)

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Xpel ultimate wrap them.

I scratch the hell out of mine, the scratches disappear.

I know that sounds nuts. something in the wrap heals the scratches.

Im about to take off my black painted xpel wrapped flares for new ones. So if anyone's interested.......

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the black plastic ones on my TJ and after a couple of years they turned grey. I hated them. Went with painted ones on my JK and love them,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Painted looks so much better. They look like they belong there, not just slapped on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts