Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my awsome stock yellow tj sport in july and it came with new 31x10.5x15 tires that are as street as can be. I want to add some height so should I get the 1.25" BL and the 1" MML, or the 2" BB? eventually (out of college), I WILL get an OME lift. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Suspension lift, body lifts don't make sense, anything above 1" if useless, suspension lift all the way, save your money bro, let someone else who is smarter explain to you why BLs are not recommended, they screw up linkages and look fugly

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Donkerz said:
Suspension lift, body lifts don't make sense, anything above 1" if useless, suspension lift all the way, save your money bro, let someone else who is smarter explain to you why BLs are not recommended, they screw up linkages and look fugly
If Im not mistaking the 1.25" BL will add clearance for a TT and the 1" mml will prevent me from having to mess with the fan shroud and transmission linkage.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Does Death Wobble occur after a suspension lift only, or could it also happen after a body lift, as well?

·
Registered
304 Posts
vertical horizons said:
Does Death Wobble occur after a suspension lift only, or could it also happen after a body lift, as well?
Dw can occur at any time. It has nothing to do with lift. It has to do with worn out suspension parts in a solid axle front end.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
... It has nothing to do with lift. It has to do with worn out suspension parts in a solid axle front end.
The reason I asked is because my friend's jeep had DW.
Once he changed all of the tires to a smaller size, his DW was gone.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think budget boosts are stupid. They raise your center of gravity and don't provide anymore flex than stock.

I vote body lift. Or better yet, DIY highline fenders. Even better, body lift and DIY highline fenders so you can fit 35 inch tires. :eek:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I don't think either would be wrong to install first. They will both accomplish the same thing if done separately anyway. Now if you were going to install a 3-4" suspension lift or a 1" body lift, I'd go with the suspension first since the tire size would be different. However, there isn't much difference in tire size increase with only a 2" BB or a 1" BL.

This said, I would try to sway you away from paying for a 2" BB since for not too much more you could get new 2" springs. My BB lasted a whole 9 months and that was just because I didn't wheel over that winter. I installed it in July, wheeled a few times realizing I didn't have the travel I wanted (I kept getting tires off the ground) and replaced the front BB with ZJ springs by March the following year. Then the following December I replaced all springs and BB with 3" springs.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Theres not much noticeable looks or performance difference just doing a 1.25 bl. I would wait and save up when you upgrade bigger tires down the road and do both lifts at once.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There is no wrong way to approach how to lift your jeep. It all depends on your preference. A suspension lift is self explanitory but with a body lift, you can also get a high clearance gas tank skid to replace the stock skid. Of course, you will also have room for a tummy tuck as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Spencer11496 said:
If Im not mistaking the 1.25" BL will add clearance for a TT and the 1" mml will prevent me from having to mess with the fan shroud and transmission linkage.
You are correct about the TT and the fan shroud. Although I had to play with my 4wd linkage even though the directions said i wouldn't need to. I used the bracket that came with the body lift and all is well now.

The MML will also help avoid driveline vibes. People say with a lift 3" or less vibes won't be a problem, but I've found this to be false. I had vibes with my OME 2.5" which went away with the MML. My brother did a 3" lift with no tcase drop and the vibes were unbearable. Each Jeep is different.

·
Registered
312 Posts
BLK00TJ said:
I don't think either would be wrong to install first. They will both accomplish the same thing if done separately anyway. Now if you were going to install a 3-4" suspension lift or a 1" body lift, I'd go with the suspension first since the tire size would be different. However, there isn't much difference in tire size increase with only a 2" BB or a 1" BL.

This said, I would try to sway you away from paying for a 2" BB since for not too much more you could get new 2" springs. My BB lasted a whole 9 months and that was just because I didn't wheel over that winter. I installed it in July, wheeled a few times realizing I didn't have the travel I wanted (I kept getting tires off the ground) and replaced the front BB with ZJ springs by March the following year. Then the following December I replaced all springs and BB with 3" springs.
I understand the ZJ springs need to be from a V8. Front springs for front springs. Does the year matter?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I understand the ZJ springs need to be from a V8. Front springs for front springs. Does the year matter?
Sorry, I have no idea what year mine were from and not sure if there is even a difference in years. A member of my club offered them up on our classifieds as "v8 ZJ springs" and I jumped on them looking to better my travel up front.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ok...thanks. I've asked in a few different spots. I'll figure it out.
Going to do the tie rod swap too if I can find out the year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts