Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 1/2" spring lift and what appears to be a 3/4" TC drop (I probably should actually measure it). Tires are 33x12.5x15 Duratracs which actually are 32" tall.

I'm tossing the idea of installing a 1" BL. If doing this would I be able to remove the TC drop? Would the manual shift or TC shifter be okay? Would anything else be needed for this to be done correctly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
the transfer case drop is to correct driveline angles. a body lift will do nothing but create more room for your tires. A motor mount lift will help reduce the amount of TC drop you will need though. The best way to eliminate a TC drop be to get an SYE kit and CV shaft installed.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
body lift does just that lifts the body no powertrain.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
If you were to do a mml along with the bl you may be able to remove the tc drop. You will probably have to move your console back some in order to shift into 2, 4, and R. Another option is bending the shift lever or do what I did and just unbolt the console and let it float back and forth.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I was overlooking the obvious.

So if I wanted to remove the TC drop and installed the BL & a MML would that correct the driveline?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
You might need to adj the t-case linkage.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
As mentioned, a body lift alone will not do anything...but install a 1" motor mount lift in conjunction with the 1" body lift and you can probably eliminate the tcase drop (plus you won't have to relocate your fan shroud either).

The only drawback...you may have issues getting into 2nd, 4th, and reverse. My solution for this was to remove the trim ring and just shove the base of the shift boot inside the hole around the shifter. It's not real pretty, but it works...a lot of people buy a leather shift boot which is used on I think 03 or newer TJ's and replace their rubber boot with that. Some people relocate their entire center console back about 1/2" or so as well. Just enough to clear the shifter with the trim ring installed. There's a lot of ways to go about fixing this issue pretty cheaply.

Also your 4wd linkage may be all outta whack...I had problems getting mine to go into 4lo afterwards. Some people can adjust the linkage and get it to work fine...I had no luck, both using a drop bracket and the standard linkage setup. Neither worked for me. I spent an extra $200 and got a Novak shifter cable and that solved that problem. My tcase has never shifted so smoothly.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I guess I was overlooking the obvious.

So if I wanted to remove the TC drop and installed the BL & a MML would that correct the driveline?
It "may" allow you to remove your TC drop. At minimum, you could get away with less drop. Not all jeeps are the same.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like trying to correct one this leads into several more issues. I surely don't want to turn a snowball into an avalanch. Been there before on previous cars. Start one mod and later I'm rebuilding the engine to support forced induction.

My Jeep currently rides great, no vibes and both shifters work perfect. I think I'll just leave it as is.

Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just did what you are asking about. put a zone 4.25 combo lift on. they claim it does not require a tc drop or sye. I raised the body 1.25" and did a 1" mml. I still had a slight vibe, they claimed this is very uncommon but all jeeps are different. I added 1/2" tc drop and all gone. as for the shifters. the kit came with a relocation bracket for the 4wd and after installing it i readjusted my shift linkage took 2 minutes and one ratchet. works perfect. As for the regular shifter. 97-03 have the hard rubber boot and that cause the shifter to hit and be hard to go into 2,4 or R. Several people told me get a cheap one from autozone and bam your fixed. I raised the c-clip under the top of the boot to stretch the boot out and works almost perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts