Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lifted my jeep jk with a 1.25 body and I have a 4 suspension why is my steering wheel stiff how can I cure it plZ help

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I lifted my jeep jk with a 1.25 body and I have a 4 suspension why is my steering wheel stiff how can I cure it plZ help
What brand of lift did you out in?
Does it have a Draglink flip?

Sounds like you have binding with the draglink angle.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Did you loosen the bolt that allows adjustment when installing it? If not then do that, turn wheel left to right slightly no full turns or anything and then sinch it back down see if that helps.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Did this problem just start when you installed the body lift? Or did it exist before and it just got worse?

As the JTPhoto pointed out, it is likely due to binding between the draglink which is attached to steering knuckle and the sector shaft due to increase in operating angle. this problem is common with taller lifts. The draglink flip kit will move the mounting location from the bottom to the top of the steering knuckle which reduces this angle.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Stiff ? Usually it's loose or the steering wanders. You have a 4" lift as far as steering angles are concerned. The body lift should have no affect because the box is attached to the frame. It does appear there's a binding issue though. Could be something simple like low power steering fluid. Or the drag link binding because the joints weren't centered before tightening. Or the steering stabilizer is binding. Something is bent up front or the box is messed up. All I can say is ...take lots of pics of the front end. All joints, drag link, tie rod, steering shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Steering shaft angle.... Body went up (steering wheel) but the steering box stayed in the same place. Some times with body lifts you even end up needing to extend the joint in the steering shaft. The position of the steering wheel relative the the box changes with a body lift.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Steering shaft angle.... Body went up (steering wheel) but the steering box stayed in the same place. Some times with body lifts you even end up needing to extend the joint in the steering shaft. The position of the steering wheel relative the the box changes with a body lift.
The intermediate shaft .. Duh. Did not even think of that.
It would be the first time hearing about a problem with a 1.25 BL.

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yup sure is a tj but if you have some fab skills you could fab s bracket and the principle is the same TJ or JK. You could get a shaft extension like the one offered in the TF body lifts.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I was trying to shed some light or other insight on the subject.... I just saw your comment that the body lift wouldn't cause any issues, but I was wondering if you had given the steering shaft some consideration.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you. I just stated I've never heard of any issues running 1.25 BL on a JK.
Iirc there was issues with the shaft on earlier stock JK's. Noises, clucking felt in the wheel. There's even a bushing that passes through the firewall that can pop out. A BL wouldn't help matters if he had shaft issues unknown to begin with .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts