Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to forum. I just bought my 15 year old son a 97 tj for christmas. it is currently in body shop getting new paint and fender flares. I also bought new 17 inch wheels and 32 inch tires to go on it. Currently has a 2" spacer lift on it and wife said NO to 4" lift due to rollover advice she took from coworkers. My question is what is the best 1.25" body lift for it and should i also do a mml? any and all advice welcome. thx

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Most 1.25" BLs are basically the same using either vulcanized rubber or poly spacers. I like my JKS because of the extended grill supports. I helped a buddy install a Zone BL and the spacer used for the grill support was a PITA. I'd recommend a MML in addition so that you don't have to mess with the fan shroud. To get a good idea on what is involved for both, check out Rokmen's how to videos.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Guess your wife's coworkers are suspension experts... lol...

I run a Rough Country 1.25" BL and took me literally 45min- 1 hour for full installation. Don't do over 1.25"... I did mine for Tummy Tuck clearances and a bit more tire clearance. Why would you do the MML? Just because of the BL? Or are you setting up for future mods? The 10 minute mod to the shroud is easy without the MML.... and you are not changing your rear driveline angles at all... ( unless you need to)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx...was considering the mml due to looking at what previous posts i could find about correcting angles....i really dont fully understand but dont want anything popping off while he drives.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Let your wife know that that rollover problem was mostly due to the old narrow wheelbase CJs. The TJ is much more stable on the road and when lifted, the aftermarket wheels needed for bigger tires make it even wider. Now it is not a sports car so care still needs to be used. I'd rather let my son drive a TJ than a ricer that will tempt him to test its limits. However, his mother wouldn't let me give my TJ to him. We are keeping an eye out for an XJ for him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts