Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how much it would cost to install a 2in body lift on my 1990 wrangler yj. thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
What ever the cost of the lift and your time is worth. I have a 2" lift took 3-4 hours to lift. 3" lift takes a little longer,b/c you will have to lower radiator. Its a easy install if you have a floor jack.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Figure 50-75hr for labor at most shops as a ball park. Nothing to bad for the install, and with basic handtools and a good floor jack you should be able to do it yourself. Keep in mind due to the age of the jeep that some of the bolts might give you some trouble coming out.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
What exactly are you trying to achieve with the body lift? With a shackle lift you should be able to clear 31" tires with very little rubbing. I am not a big fan of body lifts. Especially if you are doing any wheeling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well ive got 31 on there now with no lift. there all right its just when i turn i will hit my fenders some. and i dont want to take my fenders off. also i was wondering how much instillation for a 4 in roungh country would cost

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so how much yall think... under 200

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
jeeptexas said:
so how much yall think... under 200
Should be around that for the labor, maybe a touch more... Plus whatever a body lift costs, not really sure on that one. This really is a job that can be done with simple hand tools and a free afternoon in your garage.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
daddyjeep said:
What exactly are you trying to achieve with the body lift? With a shackle lift you should be able to clear 31" tires with very little rubbing. I am not a big fan of body lifts. Especially if you are doing any wheeling.
I would be curious to know why you are not a big fan of Body Lifts. I will agree that when you see 3" or higher body lifts booty fab is the first thing that comes to my mind.

But IMO a 1 or even a 2" body lift is a good way to get that extra bit of clearance you need for tires that won't cause you to re-do your entire suspension. And at that small you really won't notice any differences with body swaying or breaking bolts in the tub either.

But any reputable 4x4 shop should be able to do a BL in about an hour so. But a BL is a great first project for you to tackle if you aren't very mechanically inclined. Just read the instructions, go slow and then enjoy a nice frosty beverage while admiring your work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i checked at a local 4x4 store they quoted me 300 but only 250 for a 4 in suspention

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
1BLKJP said:
I would be curious to know why you are not a big fan of Body Lifts. I will agree that when you see 3" or higher body lifts booty fab is the first thing that comes to my mind.

But IMO a 1 or even a 2" body lift is a good way to get that extra bit of clearance you need for tires that won't cause you to re-do your entire suspension. And at that small you really won't notice any differences with body swaying or breaking bolts in the tub either.

But any reputable 4x4 shop should be able to do a BL in about an hour so. But a BL is a great first project for you to tackle if you aren't very mechanically inclined. Just read the instructions, go slow and then enjoy a nice frosty beverage while admiring your work.
I really don't know why I don't like them. I don't really like how they look, leaving the gap above the bumpers. It just seems like a half ass way of doing things. A suspension lift will give you far more then just tire clearance. I would rather do something right the first time then have to do it again, even if it means waiting a while to get the $$$. But, on the other hand, if someone wants a body lift then go ahead. There are a lot of them out there and they seem to serve their purpose.

·
Registered
145 Posts
jeeptexas said:
ya i checked at a local 4x4 store they quoted me 300 but only 250 for a 4 in suspention

Wow, I would charge more for a suspension lift. When I did mine it took me two days and whole lot of sweat. That was with air tools. My sping bushing sleeves were frozen and rusted to the shackle/frame bolts. Had to heat them with a torch and hit it with the impact for a long time before they would break loose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya i was supprised body lift would be harder than suspention but thats what they said. they said roughg country was simple to install

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used a rough country 4" lift. The lift was simple to install, it was getting the old suspension out that killed me. That reminds me, I need to retorque my bolts. Never did that after the install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya well i have no clue on how to install it so ill probably just have them do it

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
naviathan said:
I used a rough country 4" lift. The lift was simple to install, it was getting the old suspension out that killed me. That reminds me, I need to retorque my bolts. Never did that after the install.
Is that the Rough Country X suspension? How is it working for you? I have never been real happy with my 4 year old Rough Coutry 3" lift. The springs are really stiff, they are softening slightly over time, but still a bit too firm. The shackle lift seemed to help the springs move a little better too. I beat them up as much as I can to try to force them to soften or break...then I will have to get the Rubicon Express springs I really want. Anyway, I think Rough Country has improved their products and was wondering how it is working for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts