Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to lift the body off the frame. I'd like to redo the entire under carriage.

giff

·
Registered
635 Posts
Other than disconnecting everything, you will hafta have at least 3 other folks, a case of brewskis and/or winch system to lift it. Of course this is a completely empty tub. Empty it isnt that heavy but unieldy at best.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Its not really hard, its just work cus you have to remove all the body mounts, everything that runs through the tub, then pick it all up at one time and move it.

So as he said, some friends, a case or so, and somethin' to lift it.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
I did one last night in about an hour. Here's my list in order of how I do them.

Disconnect and remove battery
Disconnect heater hoses
Disconnect wiring harness from engine
Drain and disconnect lower and upper radiator hoses
Remove air intake box and plug hose
Take out upper bolt on steering shaft (spray with lube)
Disconnect brake lines
Disconnect slave cylinder if equiped
Disconnect power steering hoses
Uncrew fuel filler hose and leave cap off
Remove the 11 body bolts
I then pick up the body by the rollbar up about 6 inches
Disconnect transfer case vaccum lines and wiring
Disconnect emergency brake cable
Disconnect fuel lines at motor
Then I pick it up the rest of the way and its off.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
EXCELLENT POST BY "IBUILDTHEMBIG!" I would only add few things to it. When I did my "frame up restoration", I used a large crowbar to gently pry up the tub once everything was unbolted. This really helped to "unstick" those bushings off of the frame's body mounts. Also, I lifted my tub with an engine hoist hooked to the roll bar. I didn't have any big, burly jeepers to help me with the lift so I had to figure out how to do it with my engine hoist and my teenage daughters. We were able to do it but we had to think it through.

Some advice if you go this way...
(1) Make sure your jeep is where you want the tub to sit after it is removed. Once the tub was lifted off the frame, we rolled the chassis out from underneath. Do not try to move the engine hoist with the tub suspended. THIS IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN! Yeah, I learned the hard way.
(2) Have some big, burly guys to help you with this. When I lifted the tub off, it wouldn't totally clear the frame... it was only off by about two inches. Having some big guys around to help would have made this so much simpler.
(3) I used cynder blocks and 4x4s to rest my tub on. If you look at my "build" listed below in my signature, you will see how I had it set up. It may help you.

I hope this helps. Be careful and enjoy it. It was the first time I truly enjoyed working on my jeep was when I removed the tub. I was able to get to the frame and all the necessities without having crud drop into my eyes and such. It was very enjoyable after the tub was removed.

Take care,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts