Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Bog it or rev it?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  87 Florida YJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just turned 16 and got my license. I have a 92 wrangler 2.5 and I noticed that during city driving 30-40mph it's a tough decision, 3rd or 4th gear. 3rd is at 2500 rpms usually and 4th is at 1500 rpms. My question is, is it better to bog it a little bit in 4th or rev it higher in 3rd?

#4 ·
All the way to 4K. It really took a lot to get used to running up the hills in 3rd gear over 3k on the tach but the four angry squirrels handle it well. Just finishing a re-gear to 4:88s and will soon be in the road. The 8.8 was welded yesterday and painted today.

#5 ·
If you're on the flat 1500 rpm is not bogging, it's cruising and probably saving you gas. If you're on a slight hill 3rd would probably be better. These motors have no problem winding out, but save that for entering the freeway or climbing hills, let it cruise and save yourself some money when you can.

#7 ·
It really depends. Lugging/bogging a motor is harder on the engine internals stress wise than just letting it pull under It's torque curve. It's also harder on the clutch disk as well. You may get slightly better mpg but It's really not ideal. I do let mine run at 1500 on occasion. Mostly it runs around 2500 and i shift at 3k in town. Really you just need to pay attention to it. If she starts to bog then down shift. I have a 2.5, 5 spd, 36" tsls, 4.10 gears. It does fine in town. I hardly do any highway with it.

#9 ·
I have the inline 6 with 31" tires and 3.55 stock gears, but that is aways a decision for me to 3 or 4th around the 35-45 mph range. I like to be doing atleast 40mph to be in 4th. At the bare minimum, if I'm on flat road I will drive in 4th down to 35mph. For a long time I thought that turning less rpms was saving me gas but really, I needed to open the throttle more in the higher gears and was actually using more gas than what I do now. Now I stay in the lower gears, and turn higher rpms. It's actually harder on the motor to lug it than to turn higher rpms. Lugging can happen at any rpm. Lugging can happen at wide open throttle; if the engine can't gain rpm, it's lugging. Maybe you want to stay in 3rd gear so you can press on the gas pedal less, that will probably save you more gas.

#12 ·
Best way to know? Record your mileage religiously from tank to tank. Over time, as you learn the 'correct ' way to drive your individual jeep because your MPG will tell the tale. I went from 11-12 when i first bought my jeep to currently 17. Not Guinness quality but it makes me happy. First time in my life I have enjoyed driving slow and easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.