Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with my Jeep for a while, been trying to get it ready for this winter. It is a 1990 Wrangler 2.5L 5 speed 200,000 miles It likes to bogs down and loses power when accelerating, and I know this sounds weird but sometimes dies when taking a left hand curve. you can smell fumes pretty strong most of the time. Has a hard time taking off but once it does it's fine for a little bit and then start the spits and sputters and sometimes dies, It also back fires but has stopped somewhat since I have fixed a number of things because it used to back fire awful. I took the throttle body apart and cleaned it and changed the gaskets, New spark plugs and wires, ran seafoam through the gas tank, put gas treatment in it ( two separate occasions ) Just changed the O2 sensor, new ignition coil, changed the fuel pump and gas tank (last year), changed distributor cap and button, I'm trying to think if I've done anything else to it, I'm sure I have but nothing else is coming to mind, just really need some advice on where to go next, hate that my ol Jeep is just collecting dust. Thought about changing the TPS next after reading a few articles but I figured I would make a thread and see what everybody else would suggest, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like a fuel issue. The sending unit in the fuel tank should have a filter sock on the pickup line and sits in a non metal basket.
If you are low on fuel and make a fast turn, maybe it's starving the fuel pump. I think I burned up my fuel pump last year by trying to see how many miles I could get on a tank of gas. Now days I fill up way before it gets close to E.:tomatoes:

Reactions: Luckymac

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Welcome to the Forum JHARRISON1,

I'd check for a failing or plugged cat and or muffler. Pound on each one with a rubber hammer and listen for loose debris rattling inside each one.
Smelling fumes leads me to strongly consider the cat.

It's illegal to run a vehicle without a cat on public roads, per federal regulations. You don't state where you live and if you have emission inspections. As far as I know, having a cat is part of all emission testing wherever it's required.

Some posters may suggest removing the cat will give you more power. I don't believe it and it's illegal to do so. Running a properly functioning cat should get rid of the stinky exhaust.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,040 Posts
Following up on The fume smell, is it raw fuel, or stinky, noxious odor?

First would be a leak somewhere, second look to the cat /exhaust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could be a couple issues if fuel related- there may be a tube with a check valve coming from the gas tank, it is designed to prevent a fuel leak in a roll over but has negative consequences when it plugs/fails in normal use to include excess pressure in the tank and that fuel smell. I had this issue on my 93. The other part with fuel smell could be the charcoal canister or in the lines running to it. I would say the catalytic converter could also be an issue. When it runs fine when cool and dogs out when hot - it could be expanding a blockage that fails to allow the exhaust to flow. All these mentioned by others here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I apologize for such a late response. The Jeep is back to 95% haha. I took it to a shop and had a guy look at it and there was a bolt broke off into the motor and it was sucking air bad, the guy said it was running on two cylinders. So that fixed the backfire but it still didn't have full power. He told me to change the fuel filter. He said it look like the original, and it definitely could be it was in such bad shape. Rusted and you could not even blow through it it was so bad. So i put a new one on and it's running back to normal again! I cut the old one in half just to see and you all can't even imagine what it looked like. Thank you all for your feedback!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts