Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, you need your ignition key to open this lock and you can't remove the key in the unlocked position.

If you need a jump start, you need your key to start the engine. You would also like to close the hood and drive the charge back up right after getting the jump.

My question is, can you shut the hood with the Bolt hood lock latch in the locked position?

·
Registered
660 Posts
So, you need your ignition key to open this lock and you can't remove the key in the unlocked position.

If you need a jump start, you need your key to start the engine. You would also like to close the hood and drive the charge back up right after getting the jump.

My question is, can you shut the hood with the Bolt hood lock latch in the locked position?
Yes

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

You can remove the key after turning it to the locked position, and have the Bolt lock engage and lock automatically when the hood is closed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. Triple confirmation acquired ;)

Hood lock installation imminent. :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
595 Posts
Harbor Freight has the large rivet gun $20.

Reactions: Bonker

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Harbor Freight has the large rivet gun $20.
Yes they do, and if its anything like the one I bought there, it will do three out of four of the rivets before it gets tired and starts slipping :rant:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes they do, and if its anything like the one I bought there, it will do three out of four of the rivets before it gets tired and starts slipping :rant:
OH NO! Ours worked just fine. Did you take it back?

Reactions: Bonker

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
OH NO! Ours worked just fine. Did you take it back?
I live north of the border and made a special trip to US and A to buy that cheap riveter @ Harbour Freight. I eventually got 'er done (with some trouble- had to rotate the tool 180 degrees and punched myself in the face with the tool when the mandrel on the last rivet finally snapped), but I think the stainless rivets were too much for the tool. The price of gas to take it back will exceed the cost of the tool.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I live north of the border and made a special trip to US and A to buy that cheap riveter @ Harbour Freight. I eventually got 'er done (with some trouble- had to rotate the tool 180 degrees and punched myself in the face with the tool when the mandrel on the last rivet finally snapped), but I think the stainless rivets were too much for the tool. The price of gas to take it back will exceed the cost of the tool.
Oh jesh! It was really working you over. My husband said he didn't think he'd ever need it again.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
had to rotate the tool 180 degrees and punched myself in the face with the tool when the mandrel on the last rivet finally snapped.
Same happened to me installing my hood lock, and tried to happen installing the wife's hood lock. I dipped and ducked when I was installing the hood lock on my dad's jeep and managed to only catch it on the shoulder instead of the face/ear combo I caught on ours...

3rd time's the charm :)

Oh, and I was using the 5-star rated heavy duty hand riveter from Amazon that everyone here said to use. Probably would've been much worse if I'd picked up the cheapo from Hazard Fraught!

O_E

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Same happened to me installing my hood lock, and tried to happen installing the wife's hood lock. I dipped and ducked when I was installing the hood lock on my dad's jeep and managed to only catch it on the shoulder instead of the face/ear combo I caught on ours...

3rd time's the charm :)

Oh, and I was using the 5-star rated heavy duty hand riveter from Amazon that everyone here said to use. Probably would've been much worse if I'd picked up the cheapo from Hazard Fraught!

O_E
I'll admit, the stainless rivets supplied with the hood lock are harder/stronger and require more effort than the aluminum rivets that come with the harbour freight rivet tool- I looked at the $20 riveter as "one time use" and hoped it would get through all four rivets.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I have mine on order and will probably for go the rivets and use bolts and lock nuts instead.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I skipped the rivets, tapped the holes and used some bolts and washers.

I'd recommend using socket button heads cause that area is a little tight with the grill.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Harbor Freight rivet gun did one rivet and left me hanging with the second partway done. I can't pull it out and the tool will not finish the job. Home Depot, Lowes, all the auto parts stores... nada, zip, zilch. The hood is down right now with the latch all the way open and wedged so it won't latch. Damn quandary right here :(

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Harbor Freight rivet gun did one rivet and left me hanging with the second partway done. I can't pull it out and the tool will not finish the job. Home Depot, Lowes, all the auto parts stores... nada, zip, zilch. The hood is down right now with the latch all the way open and wedged so it won't latch. Damn quandary right here :(
Have you tried rotating the tool on the mandrel of the rivet and seeing if it gets some "bite" to finish the job? I suppose if it does, you could temporarily use the aluminum rivets that came with the tool, then drill them out after exchanging for a new riveter that will work with the stainless rivets.

Your local dealership probably has one they use to install the Mopar-branded version of the hood lock.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Did you install the right sized head in the tool for 1/4" rivets?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts