Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this question on other forums for older models. Have had my brand new 2021 Jeep JL Freedom Edition almost two months now. Love it, but....Should the bolts on my front bumper be rusting already? What's my recourse with the dealership, if any? I saw a person with a 2016 Wrangler who had same issue, made dealership remove bolts and powdercoat them.
rust.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Rubicon, 4.0, automatic (stock for now)
748 Posts
Just take them off, hit them with sandpaper and repaint them. If you have to buy sandpaper and paint your looking at less then $20. Fasteners rust, it happens. Why go spend time at the dealer when you can fix it in 30 mins?

·
Retired Moderator
101,454 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The dealer will likely remove the bolts, replace them with new ones, and clean the residue. I don't think they'll go beyond that.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I noticed the exact same thing on one of the cowl corner bolts on my new JT. When I removed the bolt, I gave it a quick wipe and the 'rust' came off. It also wiped right off the white paint on the cowl corner. There were no signs of actual rust on the bolt either. Weird.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Reactions: jeepgrrl

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No vehicle will stay spotless unless you keep them clean.
If it bothers you that much, remove them, spray paint them, and don't worry about it again.
It's a Jeep not a Ferrari.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I keep my Jeep clean, that's not the point. I don't understand why this seems to be just a "deal with it" thing. No, it isn't a Ferrari. If it was I'd expect ENZO to fix the damn thing right. There has to be a reason who something BRAND FREAKING NEW rusts. And that doesn't bode well for the future. I could wipe it clean every other day, does that mean there's no underlying issue that needs fixed? Maybe Jeep/Chrysler needs to figure out a better way to install bumpers with hardware that won't rust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to do that, not a matter of "bothers me" it's a matter of WTF? OR is this a known Jeep thing (rusting bolts) which is why most of the commenters on here seem so blase about it?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have you removed one to see what's actually happening? Could just be a bunch of shitty washers.

Far be it for me to speak for others, but I assume the reason others are being so "blase" about it is because it's an excessively minor cosmetic issue. An issue that is probably easily resolved yourself.

I have a spot of rust on the door retainer bracket on my JL. My intention (whenever I get around to it) is to remove it, clean it and hit it with a little paint. Totally not worth the hassle of dealing with a dealership for something like that.

Is it wrong? Yes. Should the manufacturer make it right? Absolutely. Is this the "hill I want to die on?" Absolutely not.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am going to do that, not a matter of "bothers me" it's a matter of WTF? OR is this a known Jeep thing (rusting bolts) which is why most of the commenters on here seem so blase about it?
You should thank your lucky stars that is your only issue

Go check out some other new vehicles on the lot I am sure they all have a spot of rust one could find.. Not sure what folks expect for something that gets used outside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you removed one to see what's actually happening? Could just be a bunch of shitty washers.

Far be it for me to speak for others, but I assume the reason others are being so "blase" about it is because it's an excessively minor cosmetic issue. An issue that is probably easily resolved yourself.

I have a spot of rust on the door retainer bracket on my JL. My intention (whenever I get around to it) is to remove it, clean it and hit it with a little paint. Totally not worth the hassle of dealing with a dealership for something like that.

Is it wrong? Yes. Should the manufacturer make it right? Absolutely. Is this the "hill I want to die on?" Absolutely not.
Not looking to die on any hill. Just looking to not have to deal with much worse later if it can be fixed now (I intend on keeping this vehicle for quite a long time). Look at attached photos, the rust has already eaten into the paint at one point around the bolt hole (right side of the hole, last photo, shiny part) and, indeed, it does look like it is the washers that are the issue. I'm not asking people to donate or solve it for me, just looking for some fellow Jeepster advice and support. Is that a bridge too far? IF it is, sorry, don't comment, just walk away. I'll deal with it on my own. But, thanks to those who did make constructive suggestions. And if it was just one bolt I would dive right on and fix it on my own. But it looks like ALL of the bumper bolts are doing this. Could it be a defect? Possible. So, why should I take care of it on my own when I have made just one payment on this vehicle? Look, this is my first true Jeep Wrangler (Had a Grand Cherokee a few years back), was trying to tap into the greater knowledge base that the community supposedly has. Really thought there'd be a bit more camaraderie. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should thank your lucky stars that is your only issue

Go check out some other new vehicles on the lot I am sure they all have a spot of rust one could find.. Not sure what folks expect for something that gets used outside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Expect? "SPOT" of rust? I KNOW it gets used outside. Most EVERY car/truck gets used outside. I guess I'm just supposed to grin and go, golly gee, rust, guess that's fine, cuz I use it outside. SO, spend more than $40,000 on a vehicle and just "HOPE" it's all good and don't worry about any possible issues, or any perceived problems? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts