Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already picked up a pair of Poison Spyder Rear Trail Corners for my TJ, and I have a question about the installation. It came with bolts and nuts, but I'm conidering using pop rivets to install them instead. It would be a lot easier. I'm just wondering if there is any strong reason why I SHOULDN'T use rivets. FYI, I'm not a hardcore rock crawler, it's my DD, and goes off road once or twice a month.

Anyone?

Thanks.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Rivets would look cleaner and cooler on my opinion

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I agree. I'm assuming they sell it with bolts and nuts because not everyone has access to a rivet gun.

Not everyone owns tools for tightening nut and bolt or a drill for drilling the holes in the tub either.

The number one reason NOT to use rivets is you probably don't have the right ones or the tool for setting them. I would never use aluminum rivets for this due to their weak clamping force and the smallest stainless steel rivet I would use is 3/16's and without an air powered rivet tool or ones with the very long handles like a bolt cutter, you won't have much fun.

That and all you're setting them too is thin sheetmetal which won't suck the corner in tight to the body if the fit isn't perfect.

I also much prefer to use a backing plate on sides to make sure the corners go on tight and stay tight.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not everyone owns tools for tightening nut and bolt or a drill for drilling the holes in the tub either.

The number one reason NOT to use rivets is you probably don't have the right ones or the tool for setting them. I would never use aluminum rivets for this due to their weak clamping force and the smallest stainless steel rivet I would use is 3/16's and without an air powered rivet tool or ones with the very long handles like a bolt cutter, you won't have much fun.

That and all you're setting them too is thin sheetmetal which won't suck the corner in tight to the body if the fit isn't perfect.

I also much prefer to use a backing plate on sides to make sure the corners go on tight and stay tight.
I understand MOST people don't have the right rivets or tools, but I work in aircraft maintenance for a major airline, I have access to any sheet metal tool one could want.

I ended up installing them this morning, using the factory hardware, allen head bolts and nylock nuts. However, there are two holes that I have absolutely no access to from the back side to install the nuts. After a call to Poison Spyder technical support, I found out that this kit was supposed to come with 2 nutserts, which it didn't. He told me to try to find a couple of nutserts locally, didn't even offer to send me some. So for those two holes, I'm going to install a couple of 1/4" Cherrymax rivets.

Notice the missing hardware in the two hole between the tailgate hinges. There's no way to access them from the back.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Nice customer service right there eh? You spent 3-400 bucks in my shop, I messed up your order and my solution is for YOU to solve the problem? This sort of thing seems to be happening more often now than under the previous owners..... I'll tell you this much, if you had gotten some Savvy corners, you would have all the parts, and if for some reason you didn't, you would not be driving around town trying to solve their mistake!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
DevilDogDoc said:
Nice customer service right there eh? You spent 3-400 bucks in my shop, I messed up your order and my solution is for YOU to solve the problem? This sort of thing seems to be happening more often now than under the previous owners..... I'll tell you this much, if you had gotten some Savvy corners, you would have all the parts, and if for some reason you didn't, you would not be driving around town trying to solve their mistake!
I agree, thats poor customer service.

And not to knock the product but a very weird design for the corners, but then again. Mine go under the hinges for the tailgate.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, to say the least. Granted, I bought the corners off of Craigslist, but the previous owner bought them new, from the manufacturer, and never installed them. The bag of hardware was still sealed. So I can't say how old this particular kit is, but the instructions still should have mentioned something about the lack of access to those two holes. And the technical support desk CERTAINLY should have offered to send me the hardware that I was missing.

Yesterday, I was considering buying a big Poison Spyder sticker to put on my windshield. I'll be damned If I do that now!! :nonono:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, thats poor customer service.

And not to knock the product but a very weird design for the corners, but then again. Mine go under the hinges for the tailgate.
Yeah, I thought it was a little odd that they stopped so short from the hinges. All in all, I'm happy with the corners. And being that I got them for $100, I'm not going to b##ch too much.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I understand MOST people don't have the right rivets or tools, but I work in aircraft maintenance for a major airline, I have access to any sheet metal tool one could want.

I ended up installing them this morning, using the factory hardware, allen head bolts and nylock nuts. However, there are two holes that I have absolutely no access to from the back side to install the nuts. After a call to Poison Spyder technical support, I found out that this kit was supposed to come with 2 nutserts, which it didn't. He told me to try to find a couple of nutserts locally, didn't even offer to send me some. So for those two holes, I'm going to install a couple of 1/4" Cherrymax rivets.

Notice the missing hardware in the two hole between the tailgate hinges. There's no way to access them from the back.
We have hundreds of nutserts in the 5/16-18 size if you'd like a few. Send me an address and I'll drop some in the mail.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Powertrip said:
Yeah, I thought it was a little odd that they stopped so short from the hinges. All in all, I'm happy with the corners. And being that I got them for $100, I'm not going to b##ch too much.
I believe it may be because they are trail corners instead of full corners.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
We have hundreds of nutserts in the 5/16-18 size if you'd like a few. Send me an address and I'll drop some in the mail.
And there is that Savvy customer service I was talking about!
Also, for $100 not a bad score, they should have at least offered to sell you what you needed.....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And there is that Savvy customer service I was talking about!
Also, for $100 not a bad score, they should have at least offered to sell you what you needed.....

Yep. A big :thumb: to Black Magic Brakes, and Savvy. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts