Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at new shocks, possibly Rancho 9000 Series, and am wondering if Jeep people use the rubber boots? If so, do you zip tie the bottoms at the shock body or cut so they are not tight to the body and water etc can drain out?

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
After my falcon 3.3 shocks started leaking (covered under warranty) I installed boots on the rear shocks. I'm guessing but I believe that because the shock seals face upward on the rear 3.3's, they're quite vulnerable to high pressure water from the car wash and then freezing temps of our climate....

Anyway, I added boots and made sure there were drain holes at the top and bottom. I zipped the top but did not bother with the bottom... tight fit already.

leak fix.jpg

If you do add boots, MAKE SURE it has drain holes at RIGHT AT THE VERY BOTTOM so water doesn't get trapped. Us a small drill to add drain holes as needed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like the boots. They do offer protection. I punch an extra hole in the bottoms with a leather-punch awl.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
In areas where road salt and sand is used on the roads the boots are beneficial in protecting the Shock pistons from pitting and corrosion which in turn will rupture the Shock seals.
As already mentioned it is very important to make sure the boot drain holes are properly positioned in order to allow drainage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Rancho 9000xls came with plastic boots already pressed on the one pair and included rubber boots on the other pair to install. I ditched both. I do live in the land of road salt and sand, but I feel having them open keeps any debris from building up and they're way easier to clean. I ran my BDS shocks on my TJ like that for years without issue. If they start pitting then I have more reason to start saving for King resis :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts