Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vibration in overdrive from about 50-60 approximately. If I let off gas it goes away, if I take it out of overdrive it goes away. I tried reducing air pressure in tires no help. It's a pulsing vibration feels like passenger rear. Any ideas

·
Registered
253 Posts
Almost the same as when my front driveshaft needed to be rebuilt. Pull the front and see if it goes away if so there's you're culprit

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sounds like it's the normal function of the torque converter lock up. When I bought my 06 with 42rle I swore the transmission was toasted. After lots of research, fluid/filter, 4.88 gears, and aux cooler; it still creates a harmonic vibration when locking up. The 42rle is garbage behind the 4L. I plan on swapping mine out for an AW4, 700R4, or 4L60E at some point. But with PCM/TCM integration in 05-06 that becomes a major undertaking.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can't speak to the possibility of a transmission problem as I have a '97 5-speed, so no torque converter, and transmission would be indicated with OD being the only gear in which the symptoms present, but, I agree with Shark: the vibration you describe is classically symptomatic of worn u-joints, albeit it would be unusual for worn u-joints to stop vibrating at higher speeds. Nonetheless, I'd look hard at and replace my u-joints before I spent money on more expensive diagnostics and parts, especially if you don't know how hard those 50K miles were on the drive train. Evan a slightly worn u-joint can present a hellova vibe, especially on that long front shaft, as Mattific said. Good luck with it....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok it's going to shop tues 930 so I'll relay the info. Hope it's not tranny but it is under warranty from dealer.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
hope dealership gets u right on this too, I may consider buying from them next time

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update they installed hardtop wiring harness and switches uned warranty. Put in new rear driveshaft, now installing new parts in rearend but some are on back order so more waiting to see if vibration gets fixed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
usually mph related vibrations are U Joint or shaft related.
esp if tires are balanced.
lots of guys had either front or rear u joint issues causing vibrations at highway speeds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a vibration in overdrive from about 50-60 approximately. If I let off gas it goes away ...
Sounds a bit like the 'death wobble.' If you think it is DW ... I'd rotate your tires, and then get them balanced and an alignment. Make sure the person doing understands that it needs to be their best job ever ... DW is very temperamental.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts