Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a running 95 wrangler for 600 last week, it needs basically a complete brake system though. I had it towed to my house and I just went and bought brake lines and am hoping to tackle that this weekend. I need the rear drums and a rebuild kit and apparently front calipers. If anyone can post links to the parts at a decent price that would be appreciated or anything I may need to know as to how to change a caliper. I don't even know how to check to see if the rotors are warped. I had a huge can do attitude until I got under there and now even running brake lines seems a little harder than I originally thought.. I bought the 25' coil instead of prebent. The picture is what the shop found wrong with it when the lady put it in there and they wanted 1800 to fix everything

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
When ya do the drums make sure ya replace the rear brake cylinders as well they're only like $6-$10 dollars at any automotive store.

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
275 Posts
Get a Haynes manual and take your time. Check prices at Morrris 4x4 or RockAuto. You can find a lot of that stuff locally at Advanced Auto or AutoZone too and be able to return it if something isn't fitting or isn't needed.

Good luck, if you have specific questions, post up!

·
Registered
647 Posts
you should make a vid or writeup of this. your basically replacing the entire brake system on the truck. Including the emergency brake stuff

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I'm real good at a lot of stuff but I am following to learn some more so post some words and pics if you can and keep track of your lessons learned things you would diferent next time. We love that stuff so we don't have the same problems. $600 is still a steal and you will enjoy every minute of it when get out trailin.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok today I got time in the morning after work to just really get under it and look at the situation. I pulled both calipers off and was looking to figure out what the deal with the parking brake was. . . Il just post pictures from now on and do this as a whole wrote up in the end I'm planning on a one and done entire brake system so mostly everything is getting replaced, il get back to you guy with how I did everything!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok today I got time in the morning after work to just really get under it and look at the situation. I pulled both calipers off and was looking to figure out what the deal with the parking brake was. . . Il just post pictures from now on and do this as a whole wrote up in the end I'm planning on a one and done entire brake system so mostly everything is getting replaced, il get back to you guy with how I did everything!
WOW that is a heck of a deal! I did most of the brake system on my 95 last winter. The good news is that all the parts are pretty cheap. I ordered most my stuff from JC Whitney. Just take your time so maybe you will do things ONCE (unlike me.) You might consider investing in a flaring kit if you don't want the free rental from autozone. Practice making those flares. And in case you did not know, there is a recall on the parking brake pedal assembly. A dealer can run the VIN and tell you if yours has ever been replaced.

·
Registered
647 Posts
WOW that is a heck of a deal! I did most of the brake system on my 95 last winter. The good news is that all the parts are pretty cheap. I ordered most my stuff from JC Whitney. Just take your time so maybe you will do things ONCE (unlike me.) You might consider investing in a flaring kit if you don't want the free rental from autozone. Practice making those flares. And in case you did not know, there is a recall on the parking brake pedal assembly. A dealer can run the VIN and tell you if yours has ever been replaced.
i belive his parking cables and actual parking brakes are whats rotted, if the dealer looked at the rest of the stuff they might not want to touch it to replace the cable

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's awesome, man. Nice find. I'll forever think of YJ's as the Jurassic Park Jeep.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bought my front brake rotors and calipers from Autoparts123 since they had the best deal at that time. Since then shipping costs have gone way up, so be cautious about cheap prices. Cheesy brake pads drove me nuts since they squealed from the start, upgraded to mid line from Auto zone. Good luck with your project and don't skimp on making sure you are safe. Almost bought a nice Sahara with a tweaked nose, and bad brake lines

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
At $600, even if you needed a whole new.. well.. everything, you still got a steal.

Denis

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you have the tubing bender and a flaring tool it isnt too hard to replace everything. The whole prebent kit from one of the actual tube suppliers (Classic Tube) wasnt too expensive if you dont buy stainless. Its nice but if the first set lasted 18 years the next set should as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.