Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1995 jeep wrangler for my wife for christmas, it seemed to be fine when I test drove it. I got to my dads house to hide it until xmas. When we looked at the engine oil before we bought it, it looked nice and clean. Now that we got it home the oil is almost a rust colored and its way over full. Then we checked the coolant and its rust colored also, no antifreeze in it, just water.

Now how the heck am I suspose to give her it for christmas when its got a cracked block somewhere. I contacted the dealer and he said all sales are final, he wont stand behind it. I wish people could be honest about what they sell, he said it was all checked over and serviced. This explains the new oil, Im sure he had the old watery oil changed before he put it on the lot.
Does anyone know where I can get a 2.5 liter long block, The cheaper the better I guess. It took almost all I had to buy this thing. Thanks

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Lemon Law? Would that fall into place here

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow, i would be pissed:firedevil:
Check your laws about something like this. I know it sucks but there has to be something you can do. If nothing else that salesman has some seriously bad karma headed his way:flipoff:. Keep us posted on what you find out. Where do you live so we could possibly help you the best we can.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
after you pull the junk engine out fill full of oil and dump the thing on there door step

·
Registered
164 Posts
Try your local newspaper or TV station for a human interest story --If you have your facts straight sometimes they will pick up on it

and/or park the car in front of his shop with lemon pictured posters in the windows 13
whlr

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, i would be pissed:firedevil:
Check your laws about something like this. I know it sucks but there has to be something you can do. If nothing else that salesman has some seriously bad karma headed his way:flipoff:. Keep us posted on what you find out. Where do you live so we could possibly help you the best we can.
Im not sure about a lemon law here in Montana, I will have to check. I live in the wonderful state of Montana. Thanks for the support fellas, it sure is nice to know that there is some support out here. I know she will love the jeep, she has been wanting one for a long time. I guess the bright side of it is that its winter here and that gives me some time to save the money for a long block engine. She wont wanna drive it much in the winter anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she sure will, what better gift than a jeep!
Ya she will, she's a heck of a wonderful wife to me and a good mom to the kids. I know she will understand. Just sucks cause I saved up for about a year to get one of these for her. I guess there's a reason for everything, maybe something good may come of it all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd take it back and have a police officer accompany you. You'd be amazed at how 'fair' a used car salesman can get when he thinks he's about to be in deep doo. It might not work at all, but it wouldn't cost anything to give it a try. Sorry to hear about the bad deal... and at christmas to top it all off.
Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone ever tried that stuff called "steel seal" its suspose to work on cracked engine blocks. I might have to try that stuff if all else fails.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just checked online and in the state of montana the vehicle has to be less than 2 years old and have less than 18000 miles on it. Im screwed.

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
I just checked online and in the state of montana the vehicle has to be less than 2 years old and have less than 18000 miles on it. Im screwed.
Not necessarily. Look up contract laws. You should have a grace period on any contract not just cars. Did you pay cash or did you write a check or pay with a card? As mentioned above, I would take it back and demand my money back. If he will not comply then call an officer to witness his denial. What he did is just as bad as rolling back an odometer. It is deception and it is illegal.

For Christmas, give your wife a diecast model. Tell her to just add water and by spring it should grow into a full size Wrangler. Then get your butt out there and (depending on the outcome of this deal) either fix the one you have or find another one. She will love it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If you're a handy guy, you could buy a YJ with a bad body and good engine. Combine the two to make a working one, and sell off your extra parts. You'll make a lot of money selling your excess parts.

·
Registered
148 Posts
sorry to hear man but what goes around comes around....

buy a rusted out YJ with a good block and combine the two and sell the old shell with old engine. someone will pick it up for 500-1000 grand I'd bet. And last but not least be honest haha.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I may be the optimist here but it may not have a cracked block at all. It may just be a severely neglected motor.
The previous owner may not have changed the oil in a long time which would cause any fresh oil to quickly discolor. Try changing the oil and filter again yourself. Examine the old oil for water content, (it will separate to the bottom.)
As far as the coolant goes; Antifreeze contains important rust inhibitors. If you only have water in the cooling system it will quickly brown up. Flush the cooling system and replace with new 50/50 antifreeze water mix.
Do these things then take the Jeep on a 30 minute drive and re-check.
If you discover the block is indeed cracked, I sent you a pm with a link to some gently used 2.5L Wrangler motors.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Be sure to pass it along on how you were treated. We had a dealer here that was crapping on people. He was out of business in 6 months. If you have any local online classifieds be a beware ad on.
Where in Montana are you located?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts