Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of working on my jeep I finally was able to take her for a joy ride. Only problem I found was a clanking from the drive shaft. When I got back to the house I parked it, then about 5 minutes later I went to back up in the garage and it wouldn't move. Put it in drive and the same result. It does go into gear as you can feel it. I gave it some gas and still wouldn't move, it felt almost as if the parking brake was set. I put it in neutral and same result. Applied the parking brake and released it a few times. Still wouldn't budge. Then I got a little upset and gave er hell. The result was a nasty clank then it would move somewhat with easy.... any ideas??

·
Registered
704 Posts
Don't force it!! Jack the rear tires off the ground and put jack stands under it. Put it in neutral and see if the back wheels will turn by hand. Sounds like a rear diff problem or maybe u-joint(s).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I was thinking it could be the u-joints possibly, but I'll jack it up and see what happens. It probably wouldn't hurt for me to change the u-joints anyways, it has 230k miles and they look abused

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update**

Well it was the u joints after all.. some of the needle bearings were non existent in some of the caps.. worn, groved, all around pretty bad. Even got rid of the shaking!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts