Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working in this YJ for six months now and it's finally ok for my Newly licensed 17 year old to drive. Heaven help me.

image-2705990998.jpg

image-3234347832.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Awesome! How that insurance payment treatin ya?

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
He's safer in that Jeep than anything else. I wouldn't worry to much but I'm sure he is jumping off the walls for joy. Nice Jeep by the way :thumb:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Have him drive it up to the rubicon friday. Big group of us sacramento guys are going up.
Norcaljeepers.co

·
Registered
763 Posts
Awesome! I always wanted a jeep when I was in high school. The ladies love em. Just make sure not to let him drive it in the rain for a while. My jeep is a whole different breed of very, very, very dangerous animal in the rain.

And he is extremely safe. I got T-Boned in my old YJ by a church van 4 days before I went to basic training last year. Actually. It's probably a year to the day today. Wow. Anyway. Front axle was about a foot to the left of the rear. Front frame rails came out at extremely bent angles and all that good stuff. My seat and center console brackets folded flat against the floor from inertia. My rear view mirror flew out the passenger window. I rolled out and kept pushing it off the road as it was still rolling. I got lucky I think. He'll be fine though!

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Have him drive it up to the rubicon friday. Big group of us sacramento guys are going up.
Norcaljeepers.co
How come you didn't tell me this?????

·
Registered
670 Posts
How come you didn't tell me this?????
Aren't you on there???

Well come! Most are meeting at wentworth springs campground fri morn/afternoon.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Aren't you on there???

Well come! Most are meeting at wentworth springs campground fri morn/afternoon.
It's like a Jeep club? I'll have to look up the website thanks!

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Ok I registered on NorcalJeepers. My name is Mr Jeepy of California. :rofl:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice, I worry about safety but he is not a risk taker. Right now he will be driving short distances to school and back. If he goes anywhere far away right now I will let him take my car. The good news is, on surface streets it's actually easier to drive than a car. It's funny you mention the girls. His school is full of rich kids and I can't afford much of a car. By driving the Jeep he can act like he drives it because he wants to. The babes will be throwing it at him! It sure beats my first car, a 1964 half dead Skykark.
The good news in all this I'd I am going to keep restoring the Jeep. When he leaves for college, it's mine!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quick question not related to safety, hiw did you mount the factory mirrors to the windshield hinge? Can you buy a bracket for that?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Nice I am doing the exact same thing for my son!

Though I am not sure mine will come out as nice at least I have a target to shoot for now!

Great job!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the mirrors I ordered some sixteen dollar relocation brackets in E Bay they mounted to the lower part of the windshield hinges. I stripped the star bolts. Ended up pulling the dash part way out and drilling the factory bolts out. Then I used 3/16 inch hex bolts, washers and nuts to attach. It wasn't easy but it was cheap. I have spent more than expected getting this thing road worthy so I have been cutting corners where I can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts