Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Log Cabin Mine aka Boy Scout Mine, up the 120 a little way from Lee Vining, still accessible?

·
Registered
115 Posts
just went up there yesterday (7/15). went up the "old road"(01N101) and down the "new road" both in fine shape, i.e. no washouts or impassable sections. though the original road was in better shape than the newer one. so yes, its "open" accessible. except the seasonal gate on (25E102) past the boy scout camp was still closed and locked! it was supposed to open on July 1! wasn't too happy about that but i suspect with the heavy winter we had they are concerned with wet ground up there. gonna call the FS today or tomorrow about that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We ended up going up there on 7/14. You can drive to 1/4 mile from the mine. Great views over Mono Lake on the Easternmost road.
Any idea what the metal tube structures are overlooking the highway? Avalanche control? (sorry, no photos of the structures).

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When we went to the mine we passed a young couple on their way back to a toyota pickup. Only a little latter did we realize the guy was carrying three of balls from the mill at the mine. Did not get their truck plate. So we're trying to see as many of the mines as we can before they are all vandalized or fall down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts