Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me what the bracket is for that some people weld on their C shaft where the axle U joint is? Shhhh.. I'm a noob..

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Do the C's bust that easy? or is that just hard core off roading?
It's not so much the C itself as it is the axle tube where the inners are welded on. They tend to bend there under heavy impact/stress. Daily driving it won't, although if running really large tires it could possibly happen on some rough roads or a big pot hole (pure speculation happening here).

It's a VERY inexpensive mod to do, so most do it and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
It's cheap insurance. That said, I have not done it....yet. A lot of "kits" include inner axle tubes and LCA skids as well. For about $200 and welding cost, a decent way to beef up your axles.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
It's cheap insurance. That said, I have not done it....yet. A lot of "kits" include inner axle tubes and LCA skids as well. For about $200 and welding cost, a decent way to beef up your axles.
$30 to $40 for the RK gussets. Only uppers, which is really just where you need them.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Only uppers, which is really just where you need them.
Don't the lowers help reinforce the uppers? i.e. While one resists pushing forces, the other resists pulling forces?

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Don't the lowers help reinforce the uppers? i.e. While one resists pushing forces, the other resists pulling forces?
Nah. The majority of the extra stress is in an upward direction. Pushing up, generally speaking, doesn't apply downward force on the lower C.

Some folks prefer the C gussets that go on upper and lower. They're still not very expensive, so put on whatever makes you feel most secure. :thumb:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah. The majority of the extra stress is in an upward direction. Pushing up, generally speaking, doesn't apply downward force on the lower C.

Some folks prefer the C gussets that go on upper and lower. They're still not very expensive, so put on whatever makes you feel most secure. :thumb:
Wouldn't those be a balance issue? Isnt it like an L bracket welded half on the C and the other part of the L welded on the axle shaft right before the C? Or are these welded on the axle tube?

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Wouldn't those be a balance issue? Isnt it like an L bracket welded half on the C and the other part of the L welded on the axle shaft right before the C? Or are these welded on the axle tube?
They weld onto the C forging and axle tube, not shaft. No contact to moving parts whatsoever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts