Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody please tell me the capacities for the brake fluid and steering fluid as well as the recommended fluids for a 1999 Sahara 4L 6cyl. Auto

·
Registered
672 Posts
Brake Fluid is around 1/2 liter and that includes the master cylinder reservoir if your brakes are new. If they are well worn, plan on a liter. The front calipers will hold several extra ounces of fluid with worn brakes. The power steering is about 1 liter. If you are flushing and bleeding the systems I would use 1 1/2 liters of brake fluid and 2 liters of power steering fluid.

This is from recently flushing the systems on my 2003 Wrangler X with a 4.0L.

I don't know the exact capacities of the system.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Use DOT 3 brake fluid. DOT 4 would work but it would need changing more often because it absorbs moisture faster than DOT 3 does.

Your automatic transmission is a 32RH and it requires only ATF+4. If the front label of the ATF bottle does not specifically say "ATF+4" in big letters it is the wrong stuff. I don't care if it says it in small print somewhere that it meets or conforms with ATF+4 specs... If its front label doesn't say ATF+4, don't use it. Really. :)

A medium-sized bottle of DOT-3 brake fluid is enough for a complete fluid replacement. Your 32RH and torque converter combined hold a total of around 10 quarts of ATF+4. Dropping the transmission pan to replace the filter will require around 4 quarts to top it back off. Check the ATF fluid level with the engine warmed up and running, the transmission must be shifted into Neutral to get an accurate level check. The 32RH transmission cannot be in Park for the ATF level check.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Jerry, He is asking about power steering fluid. Not transmission fluid.
He also asked about fluids for his automatic transmission in his post.

I left out that that early 2002 and older Wrangler power steering systems require common power steering fluid. For that a synthetic power steering fluid works and holds up better when it gets hot. 2003 and newer TJs use ATF+4 in the power steering system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts