Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine feels like it it kicking in and out when i let off the gas. big drag. Getting 14.8 mpg. 3.21 gears and still on stock wheels. jk sport. just picked it up mon. only 200 mi on it.any one else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
mine has never ever felt like that, is it new? take it back to the dealer!

Are you driving on ice, spinning the tires at all? ESP can feel pretty weird if it kicks in...but it wont kick in unless you're spinning the tires, taking a corner REALLY STUPIDLY FAST, or losing control...

·
Registered
346 Posts
mine has never ever felt like that, is it new? take it back to the dealer!

Are you driving on ice, spinning the tires at all? ESP can feel pretty weird if it kicks in...but it wont kick in unless you're spinning the tires, taking a corner REALLY STUPIDLY FAST, or losing control...
I took an on ramp to the freeway hours after signing papers on my pre owned lifted jk.

Ramp was under construction and uneven. I was going slow but ESP took control and I thought something was broken.

After some research (here), I know how to drive it and what to expect. I haven't had any issues since and only saw the ESP light up a few times since while off road.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
I took an on ramp to the freeway hours after signing papers on my pre owned lifted jk.

Ramp was under construction and uneven. I was going slow but ESP took control and I thought something was broken.

After some research (here), I know how to drive it and what to expect. I haven't had any issues since and only saw the ESP light up a few times since while off road.
you'll get ESP offroad if you're not in 4Lo... hint hint - be in 4Lo

on the road, you shouldn't get it. that means your steering wheel is too far off center that when you roll into corners, the ECU thinks your steering too hard for the speed.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

I've never had that happen but these things are factory calibrated and wont all act the same. I had two totally identical semi trucks, with a system that would apply the engine brakes if you took a ramp too fast. Even worse, it sent a message into the company and told on you for it. The first truck, never ever did this. The second truck was waay too sensitive and did it a few times.

Were you tilted a bit? Maybe it thought you were going over?

you'll get ESP offroad if you're not in 4Lo... hint hint - be in 4Lo

on the road, you shouldn't get it. that means your steering wheel is too far off center that when you roll into corners, the ECU thinks your steering too hard for the speed.
Ever consider that maybe sometimes we don't want to be offroading? Up here on the sand dunes 2 wheel drive is much more fun on the flats.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I've never had that happen but these things are factory calibrated and wont all act the same. I had two totally identical semi trucks, with a system that would apply the engine brakes if you took a ramp too fast. Even worse, it sent a message into the company and told on you for it. The first truck, never ever did this. The second truck was waay too sensitive and did it a few times. Were you tilted a bit? Maybe it thought you were going over? Ever consider that maybe sometimes we don't want to be offroading? Up here on the sand dunes 2 wheel drive is much more fun on the flats.
Huh ?
He is implying ESP can activate if the steering wheel is off center.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Huh ?
He is implying ESP can activate if the steering wheel is off center.
yeah it's happened to me. if my steering wheel is too far off center, after a day of wheeling ... my esp will pulse the brakes. especially if I'm doing a 180 on an interstate on ramp.

Adam I hadn't considered that. my bad bud.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
mine feels like it it kicking in and out when i let off the gas. big drag. Getting 14.8 mpg. 3.21 gears and still on stock wheels. jk sport. just picked it up mon. only 200 mi on it.any one else have this problem?
Are the lights on the dash coming on? If not are you sure it's not just engine braking? It's pretty noticeable on my jeep - take my foot off the gas & it doesn't coast, it actually slows down.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are the lights on the dash coming on? If not are you sure it's not just engine braking? It's pretty noticeable on my jeep - take my foot off the gas & it doesn't coast, it actually slows down.
no lights. but this. was able to let a jeep mechanic drive it tonight. he told me it was normal and it was the jeep downshifting when i let my foot off so when i gave it gas it wasn' t up in 5th gear or so. he taught me alot after the trip that was much appreciated. i hit him up with all kinds of stuff i heard on this forum.Casting sand issues, dino v syn, so on...he also told me about the drive by wire that i heard on here but never caught on what it was. left with a big smile again and took the wife out for about 2 hrs wheeling the back roads. life is good!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My '13 barely engine brakes as it slows down. I'm guessing this is by design to increase mpg. I tend to shift the auto tranny down manually to get some engine braking, just because I like to.

For the OP, your MPG will increase as the engine breaks in. Mine did. Give it a few thousand miles..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts