Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
question 2 how much vacuum can I put on it? pump it down see how long it holds?

·
Super Moderator
11,160 Posts
It looks like you already have the old one off.
I'd put it on and give it a try. I assume it was off a '95 YJ. If it's from a TJ, you'll need to modify the push rod.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I SCORED A d'd brake booster and master cylinder @ Beards Midwest jeep and auto my question. Is there any way to test them before I install it? Midwest guys are great found all the stuff I was looking for.
Put it on and see how it works to test it. You can separate the master from the booster to see if the master leaks which would mean it is bad. The booster will leak with a hiss with vacuum when you push the brake in if it is bad. You will also need to address flare nut issues for this conversion.

1st: The flare nuts are metric bubble flare nuts on the newer master and are SAE double flare nuts on your old master.

2nd: The flare nuts mount on the opposite side compared to your old master and the newer one.
question 2 how much vacuum can I put on it? pump it down see how long it holds?
Healthy stock timing cam engines typically idle around 17-22 inches of mercury at idle so that seems as far as I'd put on the booster.

Reactions: vmxwinn

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The old one is not off yet, the extra one is from the other parts jeep. I was measuring to make sure I got the correct one. Gonna try to rebend my extra lines from the parts jeep to fit after changing the end to bubble flare also if anyone is looking for a dd booster he will ship. Charged me $85.00 with master cylinder. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just did this upgrade plus new calipers and semi metallic brake pads. You’ll be very happy with the difference.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the lines stay in them same place (ie front line for front,rear line for rear)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Do the lines stay in them same place (ie front line for front,rear line for rear)

Yeah... i made new lines for mine i had to buy the metric fittings from inline tube. I also used a Eastwood brake line flare tool not a cheap $40 parts store one. If all you have is a cheap one use nicopp line

Reactions: peterv

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Thanks your jeep looks new.

lol, it's got 120k on it i have owned it since 1997 and kept it garaged and never drove it in the winter. If you take care of them they will last forever.

Reactions: vmxwinn

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright,can you guys tell me why to brake lines to the master cylinder are coiled? I will be trying to change the bend to fit.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Alright,can you guys tell me why to brake lines to the master cylinder are coiled? I will be trying to change the bend to fit.
Coils are to allow for extra movement and add support for the proportioning valve. Less chance to fatigue then break if they are longer and coils add length.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Kinda of like a spring. It allows movement that is less apt to fatigue, leak or break.

Reactions: peterv and Cornchip
1 - 15 of 15 Posts