Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking ahead to performing more of my own msintenance, wondering about brake fluid.

Going to buy a Motive power bleeder, but want to know if I have to cycle the abs when I do the flush?

I do not have a scan tool that will do this, is it necessary?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Not many scan tools will cycle the ABS, I believe you would need a pro grade tool. But, I’ve done several brake bleeds on my Jeep including replacing the M/C and booster and did not do anything with the ABS and it works fine.

·
Registered
531 Posts
there are scan tools that service both the ABS & airbag systems

in the time I've owned my jeep I have both vacuum& pedal bleed my system.
all are successful ,but like many others report.
I was not happy with pedal feel and usually ended up setting for it feeling adequate enough.

I recently acquired a scanner that accesses the computers ABS bleed feature and went thru the procedure.
I didn't get any air out of the system doing it ,
but I will say that the pedal felt improved right away

·
Registered
531 Posts
I believe its a foxwell
its a stand alone plug in type.
I've used it on several relatives cars as well as my jeep without a problem.
the ABS bleed procedure is simple , but you do need two people to do it .even if the other does nothing but press on the brake

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have used the Motive on mine when I replaced brake lines and it worked great with no problems with the abs.

Upgrade the brake fluid to the new DOT 5.1 fluid while your at it

Don't use the DOT 5.0 silicone stuff.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I did my brake flush using the “Chris Fix” (from YouTube) single person method. You just need a Gatorade bottle and about 3ft of tubing. No real need for a specialty tool.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
If you have a compressor at home harbor freight has a pneumatic bleeder that works pretty good runs about $35.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the computer ABS procedure has nothing to do with bleeding the brake system.
if fact before the procedure can be done its recommended that you bleed the system in the normal way.

in an ABS bleed, the ABS pump is initialized it pumps fluid thru the ABS control proportioning block and out thru the longest ft & rear lines and calipers (ftr &rr)

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
I have been using the Motive power bleeder for many years now on many different vehicles. I bleed my brakes on an average of once a year, sometimes more often depending of the type of driving I am doing. It use to be much easier when we still had blue brake fluid we could get. Not once have I ever bleed or had a tool that would cycle the ABS system.

What I do is take the old fluid out of the reservoir, fill with new, attach the Motive using the dry method, pump up the pressure and then bleed each corner until I have clean fluid. I then make sure the reservoir is filled up and take it for a test drive. Pedal may be a little spongy but after a few braking run engaging the ABS system the pedal is firm and stays that way.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
That motive bleeder looks pretty good. Gonna have to pick one up I think. The pneumatic one works ok too just slow. Great to suck the master cal out though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good deal, I have to replace my slave cyl this weekend so I'm going to do a "traditional brake bleed at the same time to get the old nasty fluid out.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
If you have a compressor at home harbor freight has a pneumatic bleeder that works pretty good runs about $35.
That's the one I have and it works fine. Keep the bottle feeding the master cylinder full and be aware that you need a lot of air so even a 25 Gal compressor will need time to catch up.

My system went dry (popped a caliper on the trail) so I know there was air in the system. I did bench bleed the new master cylinder (did the big brake upgrade) then used the HF bleeder to change out the fluid and bleed the system.

When I was done, I had a firm pedal and the system is showing no signs of air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts