Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,

I got a 98 TJ that all of a sudden the brake lights do not work. Specifically, the brake light above the spare tire works perfectly fine but the two lower brake lights do not work. The directionals and the nighttime running lights work fine but when I hit the brakes the lights do not brighten up if the running lights are on and they don't light up at all if the running lights are off. I replaced the bulbs even though they looked fine thinking that hopefully that would solve it. But no such luck. The new bulbs didn't change anything. So my question is what the hell should I do/check to try to fix my brake lights so that I can continue driving my baby? Also Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

PLEASE help me figure this headache out

Thank you:atomic:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Brake lights use a dual filament bulb. First thing is make sure you have the correct bulbs. Also I have had new bulbs that were no good.

Check all fuses using a test light. Fuses may appear good but are not.

You'll need the test light again. Check for voltage at the connector when brakes are applied. Connect the light using the ground in the connector first. If no voltage then connect the test light to a good body ground and the connector. If the light lights you have a ground problem although I doubt this will be the case as you said the tail lights work (same ground) If it still doesn't light you are gong to have to start tracing the circuit back to find the open.

Good luck! If everything was easy, life would be no fun!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.