Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum but not new to the issues that come with owning a jeep. I have a 95 wrangler 4cyl. She's old but runs well, but had some wiring gremlins. Right now my brake lights and reverse lights aren't working. I don't have power to them. I have power to flashers and turn signals. Checked bulbs and replaced fuses. Didn't fix anything, now I'm onto wiring. Got under the dash and the brake light switch seems to be in one piece and connected but the wiring right before the plug is melted (see photo). I think this is the issue, at least for the brake lights. I'm wondering how to fix this without doing the entire wiring harness...any suggestions?

Thank you all for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Unfortunately, something caused them to melt. You could have a short somewhere in the wire back to the brake light. You'll need to find the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! So I should just be able to cut the wire above the melt and splice them back into the plug without any issues?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does the jeep have a trailer wiring harness. Seems lately some people have been having issues with them causing lighting issues. As for the melt make sure that someone didn't shove a larger amp fuse in that along with a hard short would cause melting.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would guess that only the insulation melted and not the wire.

Copper melts at close to 2000 degrees F.

You probably have two or more wires shorted together.

I would first disconnect the battery.

Then carefully separate the wires with the melted insulation. Check for breaks in the wires. If there are no broken wires, you could use electrical tape as a temporary repair.

If there are broken wires splice as per the previous post.

There is a chance that the short took out the brake switch, so that may need to be replaced.

If you have the factory service manual and a multmeter, you can check the switch. Also you could jumper the switch contacts in the connector to simulate the switch function.

Don't forget to reconnect the battery after taping / splicing. (don't ask why I know about this step)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts