Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Starting to work on issues on my new (used) TJ, first up is some issues with the tail lights. Left side works fine, top brake light and right brake light/turn signal doesn't work, though the light itself does. I suspect them to be related.

Was working on the top light and followed some tips I found on here to check the connection up above the plastic wheel well, but after making sure it was secure still no go and checking the connecting point in the tub with a multimeter I got no power. I scrubbed them off with a wire brush as well.

I suspect they're related because I noticed that it looks like the wiring for the top light and the back right connect at the back right of the vehicle and head toward the center. Does anyone have a description of where the next point I might check from there is? Or any other troubleshooting tips beyond what I found and tried on here?

Thanks!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The high center brake light and the outside rear brake lights are fed by different wires. The high center brake light is fed directly from the brake light switch, while the corner brake lights are fed through the multifunction switch. I would check and make sure the connections were secure on the back of the tub contacts for the high center brake light, and make sure the contacts for the right brake light are corrosion free and clean. Also make sure the bolts that hold the light fixture to the tub are clean and tight....they are the grounds.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Now that I'm thinking about it and watched another video I realize that I think I was looking at the wrong connection for the top light. I'll look more at it tomorrow. Also the center screw holding the right housing on was wicked corroded so if that's the ground I suspect that's probably the problem. Will let you know tomorrow, thanks again!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Work those three bolts back & forth that hold the tail light to the tub, they're what provides the ground connection and they can cause weird problems when they're loose or corroded.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I spent the morning and half of the afternoon trying to get the damn evap canister out of the way so I could actually fiddle with the wiring but it got the better of me, had trouble getting the bolts off that metal plate in front of it. Feel so defeated. :(

I think I'm done for the day with that but I'll try again another time. Thanks for the tips - especially the note that the screws on the lower brake lights are the grounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts