Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resurrected a buddy's YJ that's been in a barn for 6 years. She runs - after a whole new/entire fuel system was install. BUT the brake lights are not functioning correctly. The parking lights work, when I hit the brake, the driver's side does not come on, but the passenger does. I plugged in new lights, cause I hate the round ones in the photo, and same thing, so I know its not the lights. I'm thinking its either the wire connection at the disconnect or the wire connection where it splices off to go to the passenger side. Its grounded for sure. And completely taped and plastic wrapped and covered in 28 years of grime. Before I go unwrapping the entire wire tracing it back to the bad connection - I wanted someone else to think that's a good idea. I sold my 79 CJ7 when my wife was pregnant - its good to be back on the forum! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,159 Posts
I had a similar issue happen to me, My problem was in the hard top pigtail that got smashed somewhere along the line, and also in the harness plug at the steering column It took a while to find, especially since I don't have a hard top.:lmao:

I checked all the usual suspects first, grounds, fixtures, bulbs, plugs, you name it. Ended up tracing everything back with an ohm meter to the steering wheel harness before I finally found it. I hate to say it, but it wouldn't surprise me if you spend a few hours and say a few bad words before you find it.:censored:

Get some dielectric grease, clean every terminal and grease and re-tape as you go. You may find a few other things along the way that are quick and easy as you go.:welcome:

Good luck

Reactions: chris yoos

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,159 Posts
Alternative, run a wire from your passenger brake to the drivers side. Its not the correct fix, but it may save you a ticket. My problem was intermittent depending on how hard I shut the door. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The turn signals aren't working either - remember barn score. score? I was going to rip open the steering column after the brake light thing was fixed - might be a correlation. Ill try the long wire from the passenger first.

Beer and cursing. the cause of and solution to all of life's problems...

Thanks

·
Registered
15,984 Posts
Could also be the turn signal switch as the wrangler uses the same tail light bright filament for both turn and brake and the connections in the turn signal switch determine if the brake light switch illuminates one or both sides

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the signal switch. Ripped open the steering column, swapped it out and viola! It's all working now.

Thanks everyone! Feeling the community love.

I was surprised how similar the YJ is to the CJ I owned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts