Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 TJ Wrangler and when I turn the ignition on to start the brake light blinks 19 or 20 times then stayes on til I turn the ignition off. I have searched for the parking brake sensor but canot find it. HELP!! double2n

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If it wasn't a early model TJ I would say you had a code in the EBCM. I just read that the 97 had an option of ABS brakes on it. You just might have one then. If yours has ABS it is very possible it is an ABS brake code, or basic early warning system for the ABS system. In the early years of ABS there systems were rudimentary at best. Similar to the old OBD1 computers. If you have an ABS light then the red light means hydraulic problems and the ABS light means system problems. On older cars and trucks they used the red brake light for Both types of problems and usually flashed when a problem existed, that is before abs lights were commonplace. Or you could just have a bad switch. Watch the light and see if it has the same amount of flashes each time or a pattern. Older model ABS systems need a scanner to pull the codes if I remember right. The E brake switch on most vehicle is usually under the console on the E brake handle. I Haven't had to get into a TJ console yet so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had master cylinder problems with mine after the drivetrain shop put the wrong fluid in after installing the tru trac in the front. Seals in the MC went bad and my dash light started flashing. Does your pedal feel spongy? If so this may be the case. After I replaced the MC and flushed the system, the brakes are perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts