Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and I need some help. 2001 TJ Sahara with an auto trans. All the brake lights have quit working. The number 3 fuse under the hood was blown. Replaced that and got all the marker lights back. All other fuses under the hood and in the cabin are good and bulbs are good. Turn signals, hazards, and tail lights all work. Replaced the brake light switch on the pedal and still nothing.

I even tried the WD40 and compressed air trick on the hazard switch. Nothing.

What else could it be? It's my wife's daily driver. Not only is a safety hazard for her it failed the safety inspection and of course the registration is due today.

Somehow I also posted this in the JK forum. Oops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have somewhat the same problem!

I put on Tail Light Guards and now my tail / brake lights won't work. Would love some suggestions.

·
Registered
15,706 Posts
Bad multifunction switch although that should not affect middle brake light

Since the same filament in tail light bulbs is used for turn and brake the wiring all gets connected via contacts in the multifunction switch

If middle brake light is also affected back to switch on brake pedal

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Commercial Member
7,891 Posts
I have somewhat the same problem!

I put on Tail Light Guards and now my tail / brake lights won't work. Would love some suggestions.
They are grounded through the factory mounting bolts to the tub.
You probably lost that connection when you added the light guards

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was reminded of a good lesson when dealing with electrical issues. Only trouble shoot one thing at a time. Turns out my replacement brake light switch was bad and the original still worked.

In troubleshooting things I pulled a fuse that didn't get reinstalled all the way. I installed the new switch and it still didn't work so I checked all the fuses again. They were all good but I found one had fallen out from not getting pushed in all the way. Still didn't work. After pulling my hair out I decided to make sure the old switch was bad. It worked fine in the tests. I put it back in and low and behold I had lights again. Took the new switch back.

If I had just been more careful with only messing with one thing at a time, I would have saved considerable agrivation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts