Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to put braided lines on the rear brakes while installing my 2.5" Rock Krawler Flex kit. The vendor shipped me Crown brake lines that are 6" longer than stock for both axles. I haven't gotten to the front yet, but the rear ones are going to be way too long. If I leave the bracket in the stock location, shouldn't +3, or +4, at the outside, be plenty long for the back?

Mark

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Do the fronts need to be longer, or is +4 OK for them, too?

Mark

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 14. I've got braided lines on my crawler, and like the idea of them on my JKUR. +6 just seems really long, but I don't suppose it hurts anything.

Mark

·
Registered
387 Posts
it really depends how long the shocks you have are when fully extended. for example i run fox that say they're for up to 3.5 inches of lift in the rear with brake line relocation brackets, i have tons of line left at full droop/extension, didn't need the brackets at all. i'm switching to fox rears that are about 2.5 inches longer and it appears that i will still have some wiggle room with the stock lines on my 2015. braided lines would be nice though! up front i use brackets again and have lots of room left, but unclipping and doing the tie wrap to the shock seems to be favoured by lots of ppl also.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the rear I'm running the FOX-980-24-888, which are 24.75" long, and I think they are the same ones you are running now.

Mark

·
Registered
387 Posts
yes i believe that is the same part number. you def do not need 6" longer lines for these shocks. if you don't already have them installed i suggest swapping them for the 4-6" lift rear fox shocks, thats what i did because i found i had very little down travel. well not yet, they're sitting in boxes 1500 miles away at home..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhhh!!!!! They sent these shorter shocks and, when I called them on it, they RMA'd them. I drove an hour to their local store and the guy convinced me the -642 shocks were too long, and I'd need > 3" bump stops if I ran them. So, I drove an hour back with the same shocks they sent in the first place. [Sigh]

Mark

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to RK today, and the lines they sell for all their kits are +8. Given that, the +6 ones I have shouldn't be too bad, so I'll go with those. I'm still a little cranked about the "short" shocks I ended up with but, give the way I'll be using the rig, they are probably fine.

Mark

·
Registered
387 Posts
+8 seems excessive for sure.. i am not pleased that i ended up having to buy a 2nd set of shocks after the 1st set being so short. you will see once installed, of the 9.5 or so inches of travel you will have about 6 or more inches of exposed shaft out, leaving about 3 inches of down travel at most. with the specs for the shocks i feel comfortable leaving my 2.? inch generic teraflex stops.

enjoy the lift!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right. I just measured my shocks, and I've got about 3.5" of downtravel, and will hit the bumps top well before the shock has bottomed out. I'll see if Northridge will do anything, but am not optimistic.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
on newer wranglers you do not need longer brake lines. I have 2.5 RK coils up front 3.5" in rear and run the longer shocks ie over 27" extended front and rear (have run over 28" 5000x on rear). just put an extension bracket on the back and up front pry the brake line from its bracket and you have plenty of slack. I have maxed flexed mine on the ramp and on the trail and you have plenty of slack.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, i thought about that, but I want to go to steel lines, anyway.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts