Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Commercial Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small ongoing issues. 2017 JKU with Teraflex 2.5" coil and shock lift.

The Lower rear bump stops from teraflex are shaped a bit like a thick rubber gun. The "barrel" is supposed to point forward and the handle gets bolted down. Originally I bolted them the wrong way and my "barrel" part was facing backwards and this caused some other issues, but also rubbed on the brake line. Didn't take me long to figure this out, and I turned them around the right way.

But a few months later doing regular maintenance I noticed the brake lines were still getting wear marks on them (rubber getting eaten away), so I wrapped them with rubber tape, and then electrical tape just to provide a little extra protection, and then tried bending the brackets a tiny bit, to keep the lines away from any parts.

Now a couple years later, I had everything drooped down to add a 1/2" spacers to make up for heavy bumper sag and I noticed there are MORE rubbing spots on the brake lines. dangit. pulled all my old tape off and re-wrapped them, but Jeez, you know. That's all I need on a mountain top somewhere.

I used to run metal-braided brake lines on my motorcycle, does anyone know if there is a good company making something like that?

Also, is this a TF related thing, or just a lift related thing? Are you guys experiencing this? So far I've been lucky enough to catch it before it rubbed enough rubber away to be a problem, but still makes me uncomfortable! haha!

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Lots of options for braided brake lines.
All my stock JK brake lines I've GENTLY bent the metal line back to keep them from rubbing shocks, etc. (the rear axle)

I use the Teraflex brackets above on the front of both our Jeeps.

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
As mentioned, there are a number of companies out there making braided lines for Jeeps.
But since the stock lines are long enough, I am still using the stock lines for now.
Whenever you install a lift or make other such changes to the suspension related parts of a Jeep it is a really good idea to flex out the suspension and make sure things don't rub or other wise make undesired contact.
Those brackets from TeraFlex are nice, and I am using them up front. They may help you with your rear brake issue, ir not. I don't know how they would work out back.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I can't wrap my brain around the fact it's rubbing on the stop. I see many posts about shock rubs but never stops. I guess I need to see a pic to see how your brakeline is routed. I have over 6" of clearance between the bumpstops and brake line.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I have a small ongoing issues. 2017 JKU with Teraflex 2.5" coil and shock lift.

The Lower rear bump stops from teraflex are shaped a bit like a thick rubber gun. The "barrel" is supposed to point forward and the handle gets bolted down. Originally I bolted them the wrong way and my "barrel" part was facing backwards and this caused some other issues, but also rubbed on the brake line. Didn't take me long to figure this out, and I turned them around the right way.

But a few months later doing regular maintenance I noticed the brake lines were still getting wear marks on them (rubber getting eaten away), so I wrapped them with rubber tape, and then electrical tape just to provide a little extra protection, and then tried bending the brackets a tiny bit, to keep the lines away from any parts.

Now a couple years later, I had everything drooped down to add a 1/2" spacers to make up for heavy bumper sag and I noticed there are MORE rubbing spots on the brake lines. dangit. pulled all my old tape off and re-wrapped them, but Jeez, you know. That's all I need on a mountain top somewhere.

I used to run metal-braided brake lines on my motorcycle, does anyone know if there is a good company making something like that?

Also, is this a TF related thing, or just a lift related thing? Are you guys experiencing this? So far I've been lucky enough to catch it before it rubbed enough rubber away to be a problem, but still makes me uncomfortable! haha!

Cheers!
A few pictures of the lines in question would go a long way to help you out!

·
Commercial Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got to hand it to Dennis. That ad was so silly I'll never forget it! So I guess it works! haha! But seriously that's a good though. Lemme see if I can grab a picture

·
Commercial Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driver's side line. NOT rubbing now cause i gently bent the metal tube inwards. But before that the curved part was curved forward, touching the bump stop.. maybe it only rubbed at full compression.. not sure. hope that makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
exactly...

·
Commercial Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, thanks for that tip!! I had no idea it was supposed to be kind of bent toward the back. That totally makes sense now. At least it's an easy fix!

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts