Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rust got me yesterday ! Can anyone help guide me , I have to replace my hardline from the booster , around the front of the jeep to the passenger front wheel . Now I know I can just go buy straight hard line , a bender and a flanging tool and do it myself , besides that is there anything I else I should know? Do they make actual replacement so I dont need to buy tools? and what is the spring around the line for all the way around the jeep ? protection ? looks to me that crap made it rust out faster . Any $.02 would be appreciated . Pulling from a junkyard is out of the question btw

·
Registered
259 Posts
The spring wrapped around it prevents the line from rubbing the frame as that will cause it to wear through faster. I would just buy the tools and line and make it. New tools are always nice, and who knows when you will be making more lines. It also seems that pre-bent lines for anything are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If it were me, I would buy the line and the tools and do it myself. You can get the pre-bent line kits, but they are extremely expensive. More than double the cost of the line and the tools added together.

If you want to upgrade, you can go with stainless line, as well as the stainless braided hoses for the flex areas. But i will tell you that it takes a lot of patience when using the stainless line cause if it isnt bent in small increments, it will kink. Stainless will last for a longer time than regular lines, but you cant flare it, you have to use compression fittings. Which i think are a better set up than a flare anyway.

And plan on doing all the lines for the front end, cause when you take out the weakest link, it will just break somewhere else.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And plan on doing all the lines for the front end, cause when you take out the weakest link, it will just break somewhere else.

Definately my intention . So , should I slide some kind of rubber bushings along the lines to prevent them from rubbing again ?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You can use small rubber tubing or even tie wraps.

I woudl recomend doing your own work. Tips, buy a "good" flare kit. Do not skimp on the kit. A cheap one will piss you off. I use a NAPA tool brand one and it works great.

Bender... Don't really need it. I did all of my lines on my jeep with out a bender. Just use your thumbs and leverage. Go slow and it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Rubber tube would be bad. It would capture and trap water causing the new lines to rust faster.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking like rubber washers , like sink washers you find at homey depot and space them out like every 10-12 inches . I'll have a better idea I'm sure once I take the old line out . Hopefully This weekend

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just finished redoing pretty much all of my brake lines a month or two ago...I have my own tools for this, but I know places AutoZone usually have a tool loan program where you can get them...its not hard to do them yourself, just a pain.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
3/16 LINE,Cant remember fitting size off the top of my head.

When i said rubber tube i should have explained. cut small tubing down to about 3/16 inch pieces. then split it in the middle to put over line. a few pieces here and there work well.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
To save on expenses since this is likely a one time job, just get a loaner flare tool from Advance or Autozone or the like. They work just fine and are extremely easy to use. They charge a deposit and you get your money back when you bring it back. Copper line bends easily by hand, steel you will need the bender tool.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
To save on expenses since this is likely a one time job, just get a loaner flare tool from Advance or Autozone or the like. They work just fine and are extremely easy to use. They charge a deposit and you get your money back when you bring it back. Copper line bends easily by hand, steel you will need the bender tool.
Did all my 3/16 steel lines by hand. No bender needed. Just some leverage and my hands. (no my hands are not extra strong)

For tight bends near fittings use a union and some more tubing to increase your bending levearge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts