Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I hopped into my 2002 TJ to plow the last of the snow from the overnight storm. When I stepped on the brakes, they went right to the floor. When I got out, I found a couple streaks of liquid sprayed in the snow, tracing back to the driver side brake line. It looks like it came from a coupling in the line.

Advice?

Right now I'm assuming I need to replace the brake line. I haven't done one before, so I'm not sure if it's two parts, or one, or if that coupling itself can be a source of problems. I've only owned it for a few months now, so I'm not sure how old they are. Heavy rust has been an issue, but the brake lines aren't metal. If one has died, should I replace both sides at the same time? All four? (I'm guessing that the rear lines are more difficult/expensive because they reach from the front to the back of the vehicle) Honestly, the driver side brake line should be the easiest one to deal with since it only travels about 3 feet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 1997 TJ that I used for plowing had a similar issue so I totally understand what you are experiencing.

I would suggest that inspect all the lines for corrosion. I suspect that you will find that they are significantly rusted & likely need to be replaced. It’s a fairly easy job and the replacement kits are readily available or you can buy brake lines, fittings etc and make your own.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
My 1997 TJ that I used for plowing had a similar issue so I totally understand what you are experiencing.

I would suggest that inspect all the lines for corrosion. I suspect that you will find that they are significantly rusted & likely need to be replaced. It’s a fairly easy job and the replacement kits are readily available or you can buy brake lines, fittings etc and make your own.

Good luck!
If you make your own be sure you double flare each end.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there an easy method to determine if you have ABS? It makes a difference when buying lines.

I notice there are SS brake hoses, but only for vehicles with lift kits installed. Why not for regular length hoses?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, if I had SS lines now, they wouldn't be all rusted out. So, there is some benefit...

Or are you referring to the SS hoses (rather than rubber)?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Abs would have a module on the driver inner fender w brake lines going to it.

Stainless hoses won't do anything for you above rubber....

I like stainless lines tho... not much more expensive than steel, don't rust, and easier to bend by hand to tweak the fit....

I put sets on two vehicles last year and got em from Inlinetube.com... very happy w em

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good find!

I found the same thing with the same price on ebay. Free shipping too. My amazon search wasn't showing the one you found. They will be here Friday.

Yesterday I bought a new hose locally, hoping it was just a leak in the fitting. However when I went to take the old hose off, the brake line just crumbled. That's when I order the new SS line set...

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Good find!

I found the same thing with the same price on ebay. Free shipping too. My amazon search wasn't showing the one you found. They will be here Friday.

Yesterday I bought a new hose locally, hoping it was just a leak in the fitting. However when I went to take the old hose off, the brake line just crumbled. That's when I order the new SS line set...
I had to deal with the same issue, when I was living in Chicago. I ordered the set, and replaced them as needed. Replacing brake lines in winter isn't any fun when you don't have a shop to play in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had to deal with the same issue, when I was living in Chicago. I ordered the set, and replaced them as needed. Replacing brake lines in winter isn't any fun when you don't have a shop to play in.
I was thinking the same thing (replace as needed), but while looking around underneath the back, that rear line is also dissolving. I made the mistake of touching it, and now brake fluid is oozing out...

Weirdly, some sections of the brake line look pristine. Especially the front that runs near the bumper. Yet both ends of the lines whenever they get near the tires are ready to crumble.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Mine was the same. The first one I took off, the line shattered about a quarter of an inch from the fitting. I didn't bother to be careful taking them off, after that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the SS brake lines. Installed them. Bled the lines, tightened up the junctures where there were leaks. Bled them again. Brake pedal is high and solid.

So here is the new issue. When I took it out to plow recently, I would hear there occasional squeaking when I was driving (no foot on the brake). Then it sat for a few days in the rain and I just went to move it and it felt like the emergency brake was still on. Not always. Definitely when turning while going backwards. It's not like it was stopping me from moving, but as soon as I pushed in the clutch, depending on the direction and turn, the TJ would slow and stop very quickly, like I had my foot on the brakes lightly.

I'm left with the assumption that the calipers are grabbing. This didn't seem to be an issue before changing the brake lines. Could it be more air bubbles in the lines or something else?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No brake lines or air couldn't cause brakes to drag.... probably need new calipers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was my only thought too. It just seems odd timing that they worked fine before putting on the new brake lines. Something in the process must have changed them. Maybe rust/dirt in the fluid is clogging something in the caliper. The is no way the system would maintain some pressure after the brake is released, right?

I'll jack it up and take a look. I know rust caused problems on my wife's car before so that the pads weren't able to slide in the bracket and they would constantly rub. This felt very different though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts