Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
So Ive heard some people say that BLD is only turned on when in 4 wheel drive mode.
I found a video where it appears that BLD is working in 2Hi with Traction Control Off.
I never could find anything Official saying rather or not BLD works with 2Hi or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCKvGxjoXjQ

·
Registered
215 Posts
My understanding is that it's active unless you have lockers.

If you activate the rear locker the BLD is still active on the front axle. If you activate both lockers BLD is inactive

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hey,
So Ive heard some people say that BLD is only turned on when in 4 wheel drive mode.
I found a video where it appears that BLD is working in 2Hi with Traction Control Off.
I never could find anything Official saying rather or not BLD works with 2Hi or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCKvGxjoXjQ
It does work but to a far lessor extent via the TC which is part of the BLD system while in 2WD. You cannot turn the TC system completely off via the dash switch.

One of the draw back to the Rubicon models unlike the Sport S, Willys, Moab and SAHARA (as used in the video) and other Sport based editions with LSD. Even with their TC on or off in 2WD or 4H the LSD provides a far amount more traction in foul weather and moderate off road situations. What you are seeing is a Wrangler with LSD and the folks filming did not know it had a LSD.

LSD=Limited Slip Differential

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My understanding is that it's active unless you have lockers.

If you activate the rear locker the BLD is still active on the front axle. If you activate both lockers BLD is inactive
This is correct. There's no BLD in 2WD. It operates only in 4WD, high and low. If lockers, as stated above.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Additional Info:

How do I use BLD?

The BLD feature is an automatic process and is active when in 4H or 4L modes. It is part of the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) / Traction Control systems.

To effectively use the BLD system the driver should slowly and gradually apply more throttle when they enter a situation where a wheel is slipping. This will allow the sensors to determine the need to apply the brake to the slipping wheels while at the same time generating the necessary power and torque to send to the wheels with traction.

Which models have it?

All Jeep Wranglers (JKs) have BLD.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Hey,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCKvGxjoXjQ

People often mix/confuse BLD with "Traction Control".

They are based on the same principal, but have different programming.

BLD is off-road specific.

BTW, that video has been around before, and it is the exact reason why I ordered LSD in my JK after having open diffs in my KJ.

I HATE traction control and I often turn it off (more like down in 2WD) in winter time when the roads are slick.

Here is BLD in action. At about 45 seconds you can hear it (brakes kicking in), and also see the front wheel in the air change speeds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39rghzD8URY

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks,
Brings up my next question.
If the Jeeps get better traction with traction control off,
What situation would traction control being turned ON help rather than
hurt?

People often mix/confuse BLD with "Traction Control".

They are based on the same principal, but have different programming.

BLD is off-road specific.

BTW, that video has been around before, and it is the exact reason why I ordered LSD in my JK after having open diffs in my KJ.

I HATE traction control and I often turn it off (more like down in 2WD) in winter time when the roads are slick.

Here is BLD in action. At about 45 seconds you can hear it (brakes kicking in), and also see the front wheel in the air change speeds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39rghzD8URY

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Awesome thanks,
Brings up my next question.
If the Jeeps get better traction with traction control off,
What situation would traction control being turned ON help rather than
hurt?
Good question.

I think it depends on if you have LSD or not, what tires you have, the skill/experience of the driver, and also what the exact conditions are.

That example is pretty extreme, in such a situation, most would be in 4WD anyway (although traction control is probably the #1 reason as to why people get bogged down in 2 inches of mud...they forgot to turn it all the way off).

I think traction control is fine if there is a little bit of snow on the ground and you want the vehicle to automatically reduce wheel spin in "non-quickness" situations. Or if you are on the highway and one wheel hits black ice.

I think it is a matter of....the worse the conditions are, the more you see the limitations of traction control. But luckily in a Jeep, there is always the 4WD lever.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Awesome thanks, Brings up my next question. If the Jeeps get better traction with traction control off, What situation would traction control being turned ON help rather than hurt?
The Jeep gets better traction with traction control ON. However, it will bog as the system backs off the throttle to regain traction so you loose momentum. You cannot spin your way out with TC ON.
TC is better in All on road conditions. It reacts faster then you can and works like a charm. Off road in 4Lo traction control is automatically disabled. If you are in the mud on a trail you should be in 4Lo any way to prevent the chance of overheating. 4Hi in a mud hole with TC Off is just asking for trouble..

Bottom line:
2wd - dry roads
4Hi - bad road in slippery conditions.
4Lo - all off road situations.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
The Jeep gets better traction with traction control ON. However, it will bog as the system backs off the throttle to regain traction so you loose momentum. You cannot spin your way out with TC ON.
TC is better in All on road conditions. It reacts faster then you can and works like a charm. Off road in 4Lo traction control is automatically disabled. If you are in the mud on a trail you should be in 4Lo any way to prevent the chance of overheating. 4Hi in a mud hole with TC Off is just asking for trouble..

Bottom line:
2wd - dry roads
4Hi - bad road in slippery conditions.
4Lo - all off road situations.
I disagree on "all".
It depends on the level of "slippery conditions". Given our lack of a center differential, conditions have to be down right horrible to be in 4H on pavement...and that is the gap where TC can fall short in depending on the situation.

TC may be able to provide more traction (in terms of less wheel spin), but that it not always a good thing. As you stated, it can bog down, and more importantly, you lose momentum.....you can't spin your way out of TC. We just watched TC bring a JK to a complete stop...to the point where it was rolling backwards! Most of us are in 4H by that point, but the gap is when roads are "somewhat" slick (i.e. wet roads, slush, sleet, melted snow, patchy ice....not bad enough to be in 4WD, but traction is worse than dry pavement...which is a lot of winter driving). The disadvantage of TC is when you "need" momentum on slick pavement (like when merging into, or crossing swift moving traffic) and TC decides to slow you to a crawl.

While the computer can control the brakes quicker than a human, a computer can't "see" that the pavement is less slick 12 feet ahead (as you pulled into traffic)....and momentum would serve you much better than braking.

It is almost like the 4H lever in winter, sometimes it is better to use it, sometimes it is not.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
You are right that is where we disagree ... As a winter driver where we have 6 months + of snow ,I have never had the situation where traction control has bogged me to the point of getting Stuck because if the slush and snow/ice is that bad I am in 4Lo and slowing down. That is No place for 4hi.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Had the chance to also put my rig in very slippery wintry roads during my Christmas trip to Silverton CO a couple of weeks back, I didn't have to mess with traction control not even once. Never slowed me down, or felt uneasy because it was on, I disabled it a couple of times to see the difference but that was it, I never ever felt the system was a hindrance whatsoever, and there were a couple of times I can say it was a bless to have the system in full swing, traction control gets a really bad reputation for whatever reason, maybe it's because i'm not 18 anymore and I don't care about donuts anymore ?, or playing dukes of hazard in mud ?

The behavior with it on and off was exactly what I expected, maybe my mind will change in super sugary sand.. who knows, I thought traction control was going to way invasive in slick snow because of what I read in most Jeep forums, and it wasn't, so i'm not expecting to have issues in sand, and as for mud, I hate mud, and I avoid that crap like the plague, so if this were the system goes loco, well, I guess i'll never will find that out :)

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
You are right that is where we disagree ... As a winter driver where we have 6 months + of snow ,I have never had the situation where traction control has bogged me to the point of getting Stuck because if the slush and snow/ice is that bad I am in 4Lo and slowing down. That is No place for 4hi.
We actually don't disagree in terms of bogging down to the point of getting stuck in snow. It has never happened to me in my Jeep, and if the roads are that bad, I'm in 4WD as well. :drinks:

The issue I'm talking about is something that has come up multiple times on this forum, but it is something not everyone runs into (all depends on your location, set up, and daily route). If you do run into this situation, you will never forget it. I've only had it happen to me twice (in my KJ), but it is enough to make me hate traction control (with an open diff) in certain situations. That sharp right turn from a stand still into fast moving traffic (so you have to accelerate quickly) seems to be an achilles of traction control/ESP when roads get slicker or somewhat icy (especially if it is an incline). The fastest route to and from my job forces me to make two of these on the way there, and one on the way home. Under certain conditions, I've learned that I'm better off with traction control turned off (down) so that my momentum and engine power is not killed by a computer while traffic is bearing down on me.

When people say they have never run into this issue, I believe them. 18 months from now a certain street near me will be widened and a bridge will be completed over railroad tracks. My route will change and I won't see this particular issue anymore. :iamhappy:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
There was a debate awhile back (can't find the thread) as to whether or not BLD would work in 2wd. I personally cannot test it because my Jeep has the LSD. However, I just found this video. http://youtu.be/TsY5umMfUxg Around the 18:40 mark they put one of the rear wheels of the jeep on rollers while in 2wd and the BLD does not kick in. Seems definitive that BLD only works in 4modes.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
There was a debate awhile back (can't find the thread) as to whether or not BLD would work in 2wd. I personally cannot test it because my Jeep has the LSD. However, I just found this video. http://youtu.be/TsY5umMfUxg Around the 18:40 mark they put one of the rear wheels of the jeep on rollers while in 2wd and the BLD does not kick in. Seems definitive that BLD only works in 4modes.
Not sure about BLD, but traction control works in 2WD. Then again, the terms are often used interchangeably.

I'm assuming that in the video, they turned off (down) traction control to show an example of an open diff in 2WD. Normally, if just one wheel was spinning, your ESC light would flash and traction control would kick in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
BLD most certainly works in 2wd on my sport. Tried to take off on a slick grass hill in 2wd with one wheel spinning then the TC indicator on the dash flicked on and drive was given to the non spinning wheel.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
That's not BLD. Traction Control works in all JK's in 2WD. See my post #7. BLD is only in 4H and 4L. On a Rubicon, if a locker is engaged BLD is then disengaged for the axle that the locker is active. What kicked in on your Sport in 2WD is Traction Control like you mentioned when you saw the dash indicator. A JK has a few systems which are part of Electronic Stability Control.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Traction control and Brake Lock Differential are all Voodoo.
It works perfect in every situation until someone takes your Mojo.
So if you get stuck with your wheels spinning, don't take it like it's your fault.
You have mad wheeling skills. Someone just took your Mojo.
We Jeep driver's are an awesome lot. But we can't compete with Voodoo. :(

Rumor has it that OTRATTW is working on an automatic Mojo switch that is compatible with the bluetooth activated sPod. :thumb:
I can't wait to get one, because someone stole my Mojo decades ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts