Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post a couple pics of my 2012 JK from the weekend. Now keep in mind this is with open diffs front and rear and sway is NOT disconnected, I was quite surprised that I was able to do this with very little effort. I actually creeped up onto the two hills in 4 low the front right wheel was about 18" off the ground and the left rear was teetering about 6" off the ground and down to touching the ground depending on how I shifted my weight inside.

Thats my buddy standing beside who is about 6' tall to give a height reference.
flex drivers side.jpg

flex pass side.jpg
Needless to say I am VERY impressed with the way this system works to transfer power and even with two wheels off the ground they would spin for a half second then power went to the other wheels and the Jeep just crept forward. Still no replacement for lockers but most definitly a huge improvement over a standard open diff with no aids!!:iamhappy:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cool to see a real world example of it working where a typical open diff vehicle would get stuck. I managed to get my Tacoma stuck in snow in a similar situation. If either axle would have powered the other tire, it would have walked right out. It didn't so I had to get out and shovel. argh. ;)

What I find confusing is that they offer a limited slip in the rear in addition to this. I suppose the limited slip offers some real advantage over brake lock?

·
Registered
449 Posts
LSD more proactive. BLD reactive

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea the BLD system requires the wheels to spin for a second before it reacts and this can be seen when in a situation like those pictures. If I could upload video to the site I would of video taped climbing up and over to show the wheels slip spin, then stop then move forward.
Needless to say a tj, 1/2 ton ram, and a Chevy tracker all attempted the same position but none could make it more than half way up the hill

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
LSD more proactive. BLD reactive
True...but they serve different functions.

BLD on a Wrangler is the more aggressive off-road programming of traction control.

BLD is bacially the computer acting like an LSD in order to simulate a locker.

If you dont' to a lot of hard core off-roading, BLD is great. Even more so if you have LSD as well.

All JK's have traction contol and BLD.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Nice pics! What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
ya 4 wheel drive is kind of misleading, in reality when your in 4 wheel drive you really only have power to 2 wheels.

The BLD works in limited situations. It is an advantage over another 4x4 with open diffs.

Before lockers, I could do almost eveything the guys with locker could....I just wasnt as "pretty" doing it. I had to work harder at it for sure. The guys with even with limited slip would make obstacles look easy that I had to 2-3 shots at.

Once I regeared and added a locker....WORLD of difference in tackling obstacles...you can just crawl through them....instead of POWERING through something.

Also BLD is short term...in other words its in spurts not continious. However, its an added feature that makes the Jeep an awsome vehicle stock. Guys with TJ's were alsway amazed at what my JK could climb with open diffs.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Running 33x12.5 15" duratracs now, thinking about going to 35's though
Actually I thought you were running 35s already. Might be the pic angles...

Nice looking jeep tho!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually I thought you were running 35s already. Might be the pic angles...

Nice looking jeep tho!
Thanks!! It's coming along!

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Traction Control Test - YouTube

Here is a nice video....even if they label it traction control..but the comments get it right and call it BLD.
Nice find! Yea it helps show how the BLD at work however I'm not sure if they've updated the system or the guy driving is just throttle happy but it does not take that much wheel speed for the system to intervene... when I was playing around in that area the free wheels would not spin more than 1 turn before the BLD stepped in. Maybe he has just being a little more rammy with it than I am.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
The system worked really well for us, we took allot of rated trails that said lockers were highly recommended and actually the tires hardly ever broke traction. Lockers are definitely at least one front or back for hers next year, mine will have them already installed tee hee. But in the mean time we will continue to "test" the system to the fullest extent we can. Great video and good info.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This video shows BLD working...watch the front wheels when you can watch both. The BLD is working but as you can see one tire is spining alot faster(driver) and the passenger is ..well BLD.

A locker would apply even power to both wheels and made that climb easier. Also a little less air in his tires may have helped.

BLD is good for sure.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I don't think anyone can say BLD is anywhere nearly as good as having lockers because it's not even close BUT it is something for some to think about when talking about the advantages of lockers over open diffs as the feature does help in ALOT of situations when offroad it can make the difference between being stuck and driving out.
Lockers are on my list of upgrades for the fall until then I'll at least have the peace of mind that I have BLD helping me along!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yea I don't think anyone can say BLD is anywhere nearly as good as having lockers because it's not even close BUT it is something for some to think about when talking about the advantages of lockers over open diffs as the feature does help in ALOT of situations when offroad it can make the difference between being stuck and driving out.
Lockers are on my list of upgrades for the fall until then I'll at least have the peace of mind that I have BLD helping me along!
I guess all I can say is you have to know your limits as a driver and your Jeeps limits...

I guess what I am trying to say is BLD has its limits and dont let it give you a false sense of security.

This was with open diffs and 3.73 gears... BLD was no help...had to winch out. Next time I had 5.13 gears and a rear locker....walked right up it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
there is no replacement for lockers... end of story

but seriously

BLD will not help in ALL scenarios but it CAN help in certain ones. I've seen guys walk up things that I've either struggled with or not been able to make because they have lockers. However at the same time I've made it through things because of BLD that others will open diffs could not make. It's definitely a compromise from having lockers but it's a hell of a lot better (90% of the time) than having regular open diffs with no aids

1 - 18 of 18 Posts