Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks my Jeep has been making a weird sound whenever I hit the brake. I have included a video and you can hear the sound. Any idea what this might be?

Jeep Wrangler "15

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just took my Jeep to the a shop and had the brakes inspected. The front brakes are in great condition but the back two according to the technician need to be replaced (pads and rotors). But he said the noise don't seem to be from the brakes.

From his notes " rear pads and rotors, pads 1-3mm " He told me that the back rotors and pads need to be changed and quoted me $600 CAD to change the rotor and pads.

But he wasn't able to hear the replicate the noise on the video and does not know what might be causing it. I have noticed it happens when I have been driving for a while. I have seen a lot of videos on youtube of people having the same issue and no one seems to know what might be causing it. For example the video below is very similar to the sound I hear.

I have attached some pictures of my back brakes. He also mentioned my shocks seem to be leaking and quoted me $1100 CAD. My jeep is only 3.5 years old and I just can't understand why the shocks would give up so soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Those pads and rotors are toast. $600 is pretty hilarious for just the rears. You can buy all four rotors and 8 pads for under $150 if you're going cheap. Labor is like 1 hour max on the rear.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Those pads and rotors are toast. $600 is pretty hilarious for just the rears. You can buy all four rotors and 8 pads for under $150 if you're going cheap. Labor is like 1 hour max on the rear.

its 100$ for pads (front and rear) and another 300$ for rotors then labor (120$/hour) up in canada.

He's ripping you off on the shocks. if the suspention feels fine tell the mechanic you will do the shocks another day.

If money is an issue, you can get away by just replacing the pads as long as your brakes are not pulsing when braking

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Thanks All

Back to main issue. Anyone know what might be causing that noise?
Seems like it has happened to other fellow jeepers but I don't seem to be able to find the cause and solution for the noise?

Here is another video I found on youtube of the same noise another jeeper has and by reading the comments on the video it seems a lot of people have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
It sounds like mine when I have the e-brake on and i rock the jeep back and forth when parked.... Do you use your ebrake? Maybe cycle it a few times, even put some tension on it and see if the noise goes away/gets worse...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to come back and respond. No idea if you all figured it out but I had the same noise and fixed it. It was all being caused by excessive oxidization of the parking brake drum. There was a lip of rust on the outer edge that would just barely contact the parking brake shoes under certain perimeters. I.e. light to moderate braking. Hope you guys figured it out but wanted to put this here so in the future someone doesn’t have to spend as long as I did diagnosing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts