Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to locate the source of a rattle when going over bumps in my jeep. Rattle comes from the back. After trial and error on everything from the rear bumper to the exhaust, I believe the rattle is coming from the rear brake pads. I can move them with my finger and they make a metallic rattling sound. Sound is not there if I apply the brakes while going over a bump.

I'm going to replace the pads anyway and the thicker new pads should quiet this rattling as it wasn't there when I bought it. Likely the old pads are worn thin. But they are not thin enough to hit the wear indicators. However, I noticed something different about the front and rear pads. The fronts have a thin shim between the back of the pads and the caliper. The front pads are tight and dont move. The rear pads don't have this shim and are loose in the caliper. Both inner and outer on left and right sides. Are they supposed to have the shim in the back? Should I buy some and install with the new pads? No other vehicle I've had has had a shim there.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the problem. Missing a retaining clip on one pad.

When at the auto store they let me look through several brands and none came with a back shim. Most came with the retaining clips though. And one company had what looked like a shim built in. So I bought it. Wearever platinum semi metallic and quite expensive to be honest.

When I took the old pads off I noticed that one pad was missing one of the retaining clips, making it very loose. So just for elimination purposes I replaced the clips on that pad only, and put the old pads back on. Didn't change the remaining 3 pads. The noise is now gone. Since the old pads looked to still have about 60% life left, I plan to buy a retaining clip set and return the new unused brakes.

The other 3 pads are still a little loose feeling, but don't rattle. I think the old clips are worn and replacing them will tighten it back up. When those breaks wear out, I'll replace with another good quality set that comes with the clips.

Thanks for the help, fellas. Now I won't be embarrassed again when a girl in my passenger seat notices my jeep is rattling. Big plus.

Also, I was surprised to see only single piston brakes. Figured it would at least be 2 piston. Oh well, guess its not a race car anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread was very helpful. I just had the exact same issue they was resolved by replacing the rear brake pad retaining clips. Hard to believe that a rattle that loud (like stones rolling around a wheel cover) could be caused by something so simple.

I was already suspecting something with the pads bc the sound would go away if I pressed the brake pedal.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
One thing to do before you put the clips in. Where they fit into the bracket grind or file that spot to get any rust out and get nice shinny metal. Then put the clip on and put anti seize on the tips of the pads that sit in the clips. That way no rattle and pads aren’t too tight with the clips being pushed up slightly by the rust. That stops the pads from seizing.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
One thing to do before you put the clips in. Where they fit into the bracket grind or file that spot to get any rust out and get nice shinny metal. Then put the clip on and put anti seize on the tips of the pads that sit in the clips. That way no rattle and pads aren’t too tight with the clips being pushed up slightly by the rust. That stops the pads from seizing.

^^ Good advice. This is often overlooked during a brake job, but it should always be done. Also apply anti-seize or brake grease to the caliper bracket under the clips to keep that area from rusting. Mazda had issues with rear brake pads dragging / squealing and actually put out a TSB to have the brackets cleaned and greased before installing the clips. This is the only time I've seen it recommended by an OEM, and it works like a charm.

IMO, grinding is a little aggressive to remove any existing rust from the brackets, but a small file, a fresh scraper blade, or sandpaper works well. If the brackets are off the vehicle, I've even sandblasted them to remove the rust.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try some drag reduction clips. Raybestos makes them as well a others. I have used them for years on different vehicles and the help with rattle and brake wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts