Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started feeling a rattle in my 2103 with 21k miles coming front the brake pedal or steering column when going over bumps. While driving I held the brake pedal toward me with the top of my foot and the rattling stopped.

It seems there is some side-to-side play in pedal. After doing some interweb searching I get a lot of different opinions - most from a few years ago (this seems to be a known issue).

Any ideas or updates on this issue if any have experienced this?

thx

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've recently had some rattle coming from that general area. Haven't narrowed it down to the break pedal per se but happens when I hit the breaks (except when going up hill)
Sounds like plastic flapping against other plastic. Almost like what I'd expect a plastic diverter for the AC/ Heat, but doesn't change when I adjust the vent settings and fan speed. Driving me nuts and I can't find it.
Don't know if this is the same rattle, but I'm open to suggestions about its origin.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine does it to. Clutch as well. At first I thought it was something in the front end falling apart. But I'm pretty confident it's the pedals. They both have play.

·
Registered
835 Posts
2015 JKU here and mine does the same. Don't have time but you might try searching because there is another older thread on this where there are some suggested fixes.

It seems this noise is inherent in the beast

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
My brake pedal has done this since the day I drove it off the dealer's lot brand new. I started to check it out, but became more distracted by the plastic accelerator linkage when I was down there.

I intend to see if I can modify this, but I want to be very safe about it and it hasn't been a priority for me. I'm curious to read anyone's solution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine started doing this after I got a lift and threw on some bigger tires. Only happens when I hit a bump on the right or left side, not both. Doesn't happen all the time.

Very annoying and it feels like the pedal is very loose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently started feeling a rattle in my 2103 with 21k miles coming front the brake pedal or steering column when going over bumps. While driving I held the brake pedal toward me with the top of my foot and the rattling stopped.

It seems there is some side-to-side play in pedal. After doing some interweb searching I get a lot of different opinions - most from a few years ago (this seems to be a known issue).

Any ideas or updates on this issue if any have experienced this?

thx
OMG!!! After going crazy, bringing the car to a dealer who heard the rattle and had no luck diagnosing / trouble-shooting it, I tried placing my foot under the brake pedal and pulled it toward me with just slight pressure while going over large bumps, and presto.....THE RATTLE DISAPPEARED!!

Now that I know what it is, will try going back to have the dealer correct the problem!!

Thanks for the tip!! :worthy:

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
I mentioned the same rattle to my dealer when I took it in for service. Back and forth and side to side play. They said that just how it was.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
If they don't fix it, here's a cheap easy fix (not my idea). Wrap a bunjee cord around the top near where the arm connects to the piece that pushes into the master cylinder. To the left, there is a metal spot where you can wrap the other side of the cord. If done right, it pulls the arm slightly to the left eliminating the rattle. The cord won't slide up or down due to the shape of the arm. I went 5 years before I realized it was my brake pedal. If you need pics, I'll get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
My rattle isn't the pedal... Its in the dash and its driving me crazy.

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
I think I found my rattle.. mine is the friggin ignition key cylinder...

If it's not your brake pedal, grab your key and hold on to it while driving over a rough or weather damaged road..

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
2015 manual transmission, no sounds from brake or clutch here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If they don't fix it, here's a cheap easy fix (not my idea). Wrap a bunjee cord around the top near where the arm connects to the piece that pushes into the master cylinder. To the left, there is a metal spot where you can wrap the other side of the cord. If done right, it pulls the arm slightly to the left eliminating the rattle. The cord won't slide up or down due to the shape of the arm. I went 5 years before I realized it was my brake pedal. If you need pics, I'll get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Yes, pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I hope this one helps. It's been raining a lot here and I didn't want to lay down to get the shot. I just directed my smart phone to where I thought I could get a shot. If you need more, I'll get them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this one helps. It's been raining a lot here and I didn't want to lay down to get the shot. I just directed my smart phone to where I thought I could get a shot. If you need more, I'll get them.

Thank you, good sir!

I have my sanity back now.

However, I am appalled to own a $50K vehicle with a silly design flaw 🤯.

I guess its a trade-off for having a vehicle that can climb like a goat.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thank you, good sir!

I have my sanity back now.

However, I am appalled to own a $50K vehicle with a silly design flaw 🤯.

I guess its a trade-off for having a vehicle that can climb like a goat.
Welcome to the forum!

Funny that you responded to this old thread. I finally got tired of the brake pedal rattle on my 2014 and performed this 'modification' over the weekend. 3 hours of wheeling yesterday and I didn't once hear that rotten brake pedal banging around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts