Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I absolutely recommend the Black Majic Brake kit. I have the 16" big brake kit and they fit inside my 15" wheels.

Yet, if you have a new Jeep and want to get it road worthy to start upgrading it, I'd suggest simply getting a full brake job done with stock replacement parts. At that point, you are back to stopping like when new, and then you can spend more money on other upgrades. The Black Majic (or Vanco) kits are not cheap.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,846 Posts
No need to use stock brake brake pads and rotors when Black Magic sells their amazing pads together with Centric Premium rotors in a kit. No need to jump right to the Big Brake Kit from Vanco or Black Magic which I've been running for 20 years on both of my TJs.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
I replaced the front and rear brakes a year ago with the Powerstop Z16 kits - pads, rotors and rebuilt calipers. They have not disappointed me. I don't have oversized tires on my '03 Rubicon and the brakes didn't give me an issue in stopping (until right before replacement) but the calipers had 16 years of crud on them and the hoses were probably still OEM.

Search for Powerstop KOE2154 for the rotors and pads for both front and rear, and Powerstop S4339 (2 front calipers) and S4754 (2 rear calipers). The kits come with all new hardware. It's roughly $400 all in. The rotor and pad kit is available from Quadratec and the calipers came from Amazon. I used Dorman brake hoses, also from Amazon (Dorman H38894 Frt Right, H38895 Frt Left and H380889 Rear Center). I hope the rear rubber hoses to the calipers are in good shape, at the time I had all the work done on my Rubicon, we didn't have a source for them. Those hoses are swaged onto the hard lines going to the distribution block on the axle (the center rubber hose goes to that block).

I have since been appraised of a source for a kit for all the hard lines on a '03-'06 Jeep Rubicon, but have not actually tried them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Good thinking on the hoses. A few years ago I had a back pressure issue on my '98 because a factory hose was deteriorating, collapsing.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts